Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
MM debate

amother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:07 am
DH and I disagree about our MM. We are submitting it to the wisdom of the imamothers to decide.

I decided to do fruit baskets for MM this year (posted about this a week ago). I have cute baskets, fruit (bananas and others so two brachot), wrapped nicely with cute labels. I like that except for the wrap everything is edible or easily reusable. I also like that there are no sweets or typically allergic foods (nuts, eggs, gluten, etc)

I started making them last night and DH said we should have a candy/cookie/crackers - something that is clearly a second bracha since it's all fruit. I say that anyone who knows that two brachot are needed will know that banana and oranges have different brachot. (I can't think of anyone on our list who would be confused about this. We are giving to a couple of neighbors who probably don't know any of the rules - wrt MM or brachot, so that makes no difference).

I feel like adding a non- fruit item will detract from the simple and elegant fruit theme.

Do you think I should add a non fruit item?

Anon because some of you may be getting my MM!!

water_bear88

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:12 am
MM don't even need to have two separate brachot- just separate foods! There are examples in the gemara of rabbis giving each other two types of meat.

BetsyTacy

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:21 am
Another vote for fruit only here.

Butterfly

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:37 am
You can add some miniature fruit candies (sold at most kosher candy stores) or fruit marzipans which are birchas shehokol. Those should go well with the fruit theme....

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:43 am
One of the biggest misconceptions about MM....
You need 2 distinct foods that are Chushuv (2 jelly beans and a gummy worm don't count... 2 real fruits should.) that are ready to eat. No giving a bag of flour and a cup of sugar.

However, sholom bayis trumps all themes as Halacha is covered so take that into account too.

penguin

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:44 am
Superfluous and unnecessary to add anything.

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 11:09 am
I think you can go either way ... the fruit basket is fine enough ... but if it means that much to the hubby you can top it with a simple "candy/cookie/cracker" like the way one would stick a bow on top ...

amother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 11:12 am
OP here - wow - I'd always thought that foods requiring two different brachot are required. In fact, I think that most people I know think that!

Thanks for enlightening me everyone!

I'm going to stick with fruit only, but for SB, I think I will leave some baskets for DH and DC to do, so they can add some candies or whatever to those. From the way my DC reacted to my fruit-only baskets, you would think they were filled with dirty socks! Their reaction: "Ima, this is the worst MM EVER!! No candy! No hamentaschen!!"

Thanks everyone! May you all have an easy rest of your fast and chag purim sameach!

amother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 10:37 pm
Your dc may not have been impressed, but I guarantee that every recipient will be!!!!! People are very happy to get something healthy:-)

chani8

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 12:19 am
I learned two different brachos are required. And your idea is lovely! Don't change a thing!!! Your DH is just getting the MM jitters. Your MM is perfect, and will be received well!

imasinger

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 12:55 am
No, you do not need 2 brachot. I blame preschool and early elementary teachers for perpetuating this misconception, which probably originated in an attempt to explain what "two kinds of food" might be.

Your compromise sounds fine. Personally, I think it makes no difference either way. IMNSVHO, both sides are both right and wrong. Your theme will still be apparent and elegant, with or without the extra. And DH and DC are overreacting.

Purim sameach!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics