Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
How to write your own poem

imasinger

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 8:28 pm
Every year, there are multiple calls for help in getting a poem for Purim. After watching this go on for some time, I wondered if maybe a lot more people would not be so uncomfortable writing their own if they had a step by step guide. Most of us really can do a lot more than we think!

So, here you is my stab at it. It shouldn't take you too long, and if you try every year, will get easier with practice.

Other writers, feel free to kibbitz. Probably too late to help most folks this year, but we can always bump it next year.

Step 1. Brainstorming. Most people asking for help already have a theme in mind. Sit down with computer or paper and pencil and jot down every idea, association, and link between your theme and the Purim story (or family costumes, or joy, or whatever you most want to stress) that comes into your head. Limit yourself to one or a few words per idea. Try to get 10-20 thoughts about your theme and links to Purim.

If you were doing a pirate theme, you might have a list that included things like "pirate=bad=Haman", "masks and eye patches" "Esther captive", "Yo ho ho, rum/wine at seuda", etc. From your brainstormed list, you will probably have some ideas you like better than others.

Step 2. Prioritizing and Organizing. See if you can find at least one or 2 ideas you like best. Figure out if you want a long poem or a short one. Save your best idea for last. Create a brief outline.

For example: 4-8 lines, end with jolly=jolly roger (n.b. I am not suggesting this is the best idea IRL), focus on happy/funny pirates, etc.

For myself this year, I am planning 8 stanzas, 7 fitting my theme, and one either beginning or ending.

Step 3. Look for rhymes. Once you have a basic plan, see if you can create one line and try to rhyme it. Make lists of rhyming words or use an online rhyming dictionary.

Step 4. Edit. There will likely be some rough lines, ideas that don't work, or words that don't seem to have a good rhyme. See if you can improve those spots on your own, or ask a friend or family member for help.

Step 5. Polish and print. Voila! It's really not so hard, and it is very rewarding!

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 8:48 pm
am I dreaming
is this a purim miracle
no more need for scheming
fighting for our oracle
we do not have to be rhetorical

if this doesn't make sense
it's not because I'm dense
while I love to write some poetry
writing for others not so aptly
giving you my emotions
when I don't know your notions

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 8:55 pm
disclaimer: I don't write purim poems, nor do I appreciate them. I don't much appreciate rhyming poetry in general, but I've been known to rattle some off quickly when together with other rhymers.

don't plan too hard. take a theme. I'll use pirate, as above.

think of all the words you can associate with pirate: eyepatch, peg leg, sword, walk the plank, gold, treasure, treasure map, fifteen men on a dead man's chest, rum, parrot, jolly rogers, pillage, plunder, silver, jewels, captain hook, matey, aaahhhr, grog, etc.

now try to come up with rhymes for as many of those words as you can:

parrot: carrot
eyepatch: a batch (this depends on how you word the lines. it can work.)
rum: sum, bum, glum, drum, hum
pillage: village
plunder: thunder
etc.

then see if you can use some or all of these rhymes in a poem. keep in mind that you can use words with no rhymes mid line.

though I don't think purim poems are necessary, I will say the following: if you feel you must write one, please keep your eye on the syllable count and grammar. please. just for me. because I asked.

imasinger

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 9:25 pm
Good point about the meter (syllable count, yes, but also beat). And I'll second an appreciation for spelling and grammar.

It goes without saying that poems are absolutely not necessary. But if you want one, it's great to do your own.

Also, if you are looking for brainstorming or rhyming help, please say so. It is a mite frustrating to craft a few verses for someone, only to have the OP say that they really just wanted the ideas, and they would write their own from that.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 10:41 pm
imasinger - 8 stanzas? Wow.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 13 2014, 11:39 pm
Imasinger, this was very nice of you Smile .

There's a great website called Wordhippo.com, where you can quickly get lists of rhyming words. It'll give you options in terms of how many syllables you need. For example, let's say you need a rhyme for "inspire.". They won't just give you, let's say, "fire" "dire" but they'll also offer you multi-syllabic choices: "retire" "climb higher" "muck and mire."

The system I use when composing rhyming poems is as follows: I type, in boldface, the alphabet in lower case, at the top of my page. I leave about 3 spaces in between each letter. Then, if I need a rhyme for "fire," I'll just go through the alphabet: a- no rhyme, b- buyer, c-cryer, d-dyer, dryer, desire, etc.

Have fun!

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 14 2014, 1:13 am
Another tip for people who are not poets much: If your rhyme makes no sense because you chose and arranged words purely based on the rhyme scheme, please ditch the rhyme and just write a couple of non-rhyming lines explaining your theme. That is much much much much much less nerdy than writing a really bad poem that makes no sense and doesn't even sound good.

DrMom

Post Fri, Mar 14 2014, 5:36 am
Haikus are much easier.

Ahoy! It's Purim!
Eat this nosh, bottle of rum
Before Pesach. Argh!

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 2:37 pm
we should have bumped this earlier ~ argh
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics