Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Crock pot bbq chicken for shabbos day?

Lanz892

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 12:17 pm
When should I put it up? and on what temp on crock pot (high, low, keep warm)? and will it be totally dried out by shabbos day?

TIA! Very Happy

Sanguine

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 12:31 pm
That works for Shabbat? The bones don't get soft after so many hours? Would love the recipe if it works

Lanz892

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 12:38 pm
I would be using chicken breasts Smile

Sanguine

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 12:42 pm
Ahhh. Thought I could just toss in a full chicken

mille

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 12:46 pm
If you intend on keeping it in the crockpot all shabbos, it'll get dried out. "keep warm" isn't warm enough to cook, nor is it warm enough to hold food at a safe temperature. Low will dry it out. I make this sort of thing all the time for Shabbos, but I reheat it on the plata.

Lanz892

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 12:48 pm
Do you think I could put it on low til it is cooked through and then switch to keep warm right before shabbos starts?

mille

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 1:05 pm
If you are eating it shabbos day, no, keep warm doesn't keep things warm enough to be food safe. You run the risk of bacteria and other nasty things in that 'danger zone' temperature. And, you won't even be able to then heat it up to a food safe temp to kill off anything, so it's really not safe.

Lanz892

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 1:06 pm
Thank you, what do you suggest then? How do you make it?

Barbara

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 1:10 pm
mille wrote:
If you intend on keeping it in the crockpot all shabbos, it'll get dried out. "keep warm" isn't warm enough to cook, nor is it warm enough to hold food at a safe temperature. Low will dry it out. I make this sort of thing all the time for Shabbos, but I reheat it on the plata.

"Keep warm" is supposed to keep food between 145 and 165 degrees. Mine slow cooker tends to run on the warmer side of that. It is well within the safety zone for cooked foods.

dveikus

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 9:16 am
Keep warm is perfectly safe as long as the food was already hot when you switch to keep warm. For example, the food was cooked on low and is now done, so you switch to keep warm.

What is NOT safe is to put COLD food into a crockpot and put it on keep warm. The food must be hot to begin with, and possibly the crockpot should have been hot already, and then SWITCHED to keep warm. Hope I'm making sense!

mille

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 9:25 am
Barbara wrote:
"Keep warm" is supposed to keep food between 145 and 165 degrees. Mine slow cooker tends to run on the warmer side of that. It is well within the safety zone for cooked foods.

I am guessing it varies depending on brand and crockpot, but the insert that came with mine is very explicitly clear that it is not meant to hold food for a significant period of time (like 15 hours, for Shabbat). I have temped mine, it does not hold to 140 for very long (meaning that it holds above 140 on low and when you switch to keep warm, it cools down below 140).

So in that case, consult the booklet that comes with your crockpot that you probably threw away. Or put water in there and put it on keep low, and use a food thermometer a few hours later to see what temp it really holds.

I still think that white meat chicken will get dried out in a crockpot even on keep warm (especially if keep warm is between 140-165 degrees). As for how I do it, I put chicken in the crockpot with sauce of choice, let it cook all friday, then shred it and put it into another dish and heat it on the plata on Shabbos day. I would only use the keep warm function and keep it in the crockpot if I were serving it friday night.

tichellady

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 9:58 am
Don't cook chicken breast in a crockpot! It needs to be cooked at a high temperature fast, not low and slow, unless you like it very dry
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey