Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
ADHD and Purim

amother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 5:53 am
My young adult DS with ADHD loves Purim so much. And for good reason.

He doesn't really drink, but when the rest of the world does, they become just like him.

Emotional
Impulsive
Will say whatever first comes to mind
Disorganized and forgetful of essentials
Wearing unusual things
Talking to everyone
Using lots of energy dancing and bouncing off the walls
Beng funny and getting laughs

Other tasks just go so much better in the beginning of Adar, when he's excited. And getting back to the grind is always a challenge when it's over.

Can anyone else relate?

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 6:16 am
great points ... I love acting silly this way with people like your sonny boy that don't always get a chance to be understood ... and it doesn't even have to be purim

amother

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 8:14 am
My adhd sister yearns to be a boy for this reason alone... At least your son gets to be part of the action. She feels even more frustrated than usual.

chani8

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 9:14 am
We girls with ADHD have lots of fun too. Why the frustration for your sister, Amother? I don't understand. Even when we were charedi, my girls and I had lots of fun. How are the girls missing out??

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 04 2015, 9:56 am
chani8 wrote:
We girls with ADHD have lots of fun too. Why the frustration for your sister, Amother? I don't understand. Even when we were charedi, my girls and I had lots of fun. How are the girls missing out??

not unlike simchas torah they make lots of singing & dancing gatherings for the boys whilst the girls are left to watch ... what is the fun there

Ruchel

Post Sat, Mar 07 2015, 1:48 pm
Just shlep a mechitza and dance! (or organize a women event).

amother

Post Sat, Mar 07 2015, 9:11 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Just shlep a mechitza and dance! (or organize a women event).

She wants to get drunk, or at least tipsy (boys get away with it, it's unbecoming for a girl), she wants to wear costumes and act wacky on the street (same as above), she wants to sing on top of her lungs without being shushed, (see above)...even the way she acts inside our parents' house, with the inlaws and the guests around, it gets a bit much...

zaq

Post Sat, Mar 07 2015, 10:09 pm
Sounds like what your sister needs is a nice old-fashioned women-only Purim chagigah. Why not try to arrange something like this next year? Your sister cannot possibly be the only young woman in your neighborhood who would like to dress up and dance and sing without being shushed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics