Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
I feel like Purim will be cancelled in New York!
Previous  1  2  3

yidishmamma

Post Thu, Mar 05 2015, 11:57 pm
Purim today in ny was just OMG!! Not Ez

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 12:05 am
Muffled is the right word indeed. We went out and it wasn't even half bad, but there wasn't the usual merry feeling in the streets. Occasionally we passed other people bundled up. The costumes got all wet and gucky and had to be taken off for maintenance the second we got home - by which time some of us were having meltdowns from being cold and wet and more tired than usual because stomping through snow is harder work than regular walking. I'm not trying to be a kvetch, in fact it was really a lot better than I thought it would be (I spent half the day hiding inside, peeking out the window, wondering if it would get any better and taking hours to muster up the gumption to tackle it. but it really wasn't half as cold as it looked, just very snowy, and many streets were plowed/shoveled/salted sufficiently though others weren't and at times I wished I had a sleigh instead of stroller) All I'm saying is I definitely understand the disappointed sentiments and think it's mean to invalidate them. We also weren't able to have visitors from other neighborhoods whom we usually look forward to seeing on Purim and rarely get to see otherwise. It was a nice yomtov but for people who are used to a certain way it was a bit of a letdown. I don't think it affected us in a big way but I am hoping next year we get a better taste of Purim spirit (for various reasons we "missed" last Purim too so I am a little under-Purimmed already)

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 12:08 am
It wasnt so bad after all, bc strollers were able to to pass on the street. it was just *so cold*. and the cars were *crawling*.

yidishmamma

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 12:15 am
Mama Bear wrote:
It wasnt so bad after all, bc strollers were able to to pass on the street. it was just *so cold*. and the cars were *crawling*.
it was very very hard to push the stroller cuz wasnt really shoveled anywhere... My back was breaking from it. That being said I heard from ppl that driving was insane.but I think it's every year Purim but prob was harder cuz of weather

amother

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 12:35 am
Towards evening it got really cold and the snow froze. We couldn't get the car doors to open for a seemingly endless while. And those unshoveled steps while balancing kids and packages were really scary.

lifesagift

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 12:42 am
yidishmamma wrote:
it was very very hard to push the stroller cuz wasnt really shoveled anywhere... My back was breaking from it. That being said I heard from ppl that driving was insane.but I think it's every year Purim but prob was harder cuz of weather

BABY CARRIER!!!!!!

zaq

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 12:46 am
Purim was definitely muted, but I would not blame today's snow for all of it. Almost everyone I spoke to remarked that this year they could not get their Purim heads together till the last minute, presumably because of the hibernacious weather of the past weeks. (Hibernacious:causing an intense desire to crawl into a cozy warm den and sleep till spring, IOW, hibernating.) Even if today had been brilliantly sunny and in the 60s, everyone's MM would still have been more blah, their costume ideas more hackneyed and their grammen less witty than in previous years, simply because at the time of their planning, their planners were suffering from TOTELABWD (tired-of-this-endlessly-long-and-brutal-winter disorder). Better luck next year. Hint: start planning Purim in October, when summer's brutal heat is past and winter's paralyzing cold has not begun.

seeker

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 12:47 am
First of all, my 30-lb 2.5-year-old is too big for babywearing (I know some people still do that, but my body couldn't handle that) and too young to walk the amount we were aiming for, and secondly I think it's risky in slippery weather. Usually I consider babywearing as safe as or safer than stroller, but in slippery weather I think it's better to keep your own balance as easy as possible and also have baby supported by the stroller in case you slip.

I looked out the window to see how the sidewalks were before deciding to take the stroller. I considered leaving LO home but it looked pretty good out the window. Fortunately most of our route was pretty OK, but a couple of blocks were really difficult. And of course the slush was ridiculous at the corners but I can handle that, we only needed a few corners.

youngishbear

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 12:53 am
zaq wrote:
Purim was definitely muted, but I would not blame today's snow for all of it. Almost everyone I spoke to remarked that this year they could not get their Purim heads together till the last minute, presumably because of the hibernacious weather of the past weeks. (Hibernacious:causing an intense desire to crawl into a cozy warm den and sleep till spring, IOW, hibernating.) Even if today had been brilliantly sunny and in the 60s, everyone's MM would still have been more blah, their costume ideas more hackneyed and their grammen less witty than in previous years, simply because at the time of their planning, their planners were suffering from TOTELABWD (tired-of-this-endlessly-long-and-brutal-winter disorder). Better luck next year. Hint: start planning Purim in October, when summer's brutal heat is past and winter's paralyzing cold has not begun.

Love your new word. Now I'm completely hibernacious, just as it's finally almost time for me to crawl out of my cave...

Yawn

mirror

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 5:26 am
I am so jealous of all those women who were able to get their cars out today. Exploding anger

momx6

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 6:18 am
zaq wrote:

This should be the post of the YEAR!

yidishmamma

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 9:08 am
lifesagift wrote:
BABY CARRIER!!!!!!

My baby is 3 years old!!

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 3:31 pm
Yep it was rough pushing my special needs 6 yr old through the snow. and he was crying from the cold. Ahhhh. I kept looking around in the windows for menorahs....

amother

Post Fri, Mar 06 2015, 7:19 pm
Beautiful out here in Los Angeles! Blue skies, birds chirping... A small sweater in the early morning/at night but rest of the day? My boy wore a short sleeves costume!
Not to make you jealous but it's a great reason why we live here... No snow- unless we drive to it.

Sanguine

Post Sat, Mar 07 2015, 12:39 pm
Now I'm not teasing those New Yorkers who just had such a snowy Purim, but maybe you can explain how with all this snow America is switching to summer time tonight. Admit it, it's funny

amother

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 1:15 am
amother wrote:
Beautiful out here in Los Angeles! Blue skies, birds chirping... A small sweater in the early morning/at night but rest of the day? My boy wore a short sleeves costume!
Not to make you jealous but it's a great reason why we live here... No snow- unless we drive to it.

I wudnt want to switch u and have Purim in la.... Can't compare the atmosphere in ny to la on Purim. My parents were in la one Purim for Some reason my mom said it Didnt look or feel like Purim.

youngishbear

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 1:19 am
Sanguine wrote:
Now I'm not teasing those New Yorkers who just had such a snowy Purim, but maybe you can explain how with all this snow America is switching to summer time tonight. Admit it, it's funny

It ain't no laughing matter here.

It is incongruous. It's ironic. It's annoying. It's frustrating. It's a nuisance. But it's not funny waaaa.

But there is a method to the madness here. Moving the clock forward reawakens the hope for a sunnier tomorrow, and reminds us that spring will come again... eventually.

I'm pretty sure thats not the official reason for it, but it is for me...

amother

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 1:44 am
amother wrote:
I wudnt want to switch u and have Purim in la.... Can't compare the atmosphere in ny to la on Purim. My parents were in la one Purim for Some reason my mom said it Didnt look or feel like Purim.

Then she wasn't in the right areas. I for one experienced NY Purim and don't want to do that again. We have a huge street concert that can't be beat. Major singers came. No drunken drivers, much less traffic and still had music, costumes, dancing yeshiva bochurim, simcha and amazing weather. But it's not a competition. Each to her own!

bnm

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 3:07 am
I pushed the carriage one block doing the neighbors, sat through the seuda and needed a nap.... Sad almost cancelled going to my mother in law by car but we went late when the snow had stopped already skipping all the friends and teachers.

Twisted Evil
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics