Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Need an easy birthday cake recipe

israeli83

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 11:38 am
My son is turning 4 and I'm looking for an easy, yet nice birthday cake recipe. He likes chocolate, so the cake would have to have some chocolate. I know how to bake cakes, but I haven't really done it with frostings and or cream. I'd like to make it look presentable like a birthday cake. Any ideas?

Sanguine

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 12:12 pm
Do you want to impress a 4 year old or all the grownup relatives?

Two things I've done (and I'm very unartistic)

1 - ice the cake and just buy a lot of candies (sprinkles, M&Ms...) write his name or age and just make lines around with the candies. Looks very festive and partyish and everyone loves it.

2- Something fancier. Make a farm (this is easy bu nice). Ice the cake in green. Take coconut and mix with green food coloring and sprinkle on top. It will look like grass. Take skinny pretel sticks and stick them around the whole cake standing so it looks like a fence. Buy (unless you own) a small cheap set of animals - need gates too. Put the gates around and animals standing in groups within gates.

SOOO easy. You get fancy but he's only 4.

I'll post pictures later if you want.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 2:03 pm
look on the back of hershey's cocoa

mom4many

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 2:13 pm
For icing I can think of 2 super easy ideas:
Melt chocolate (choc chips work too) with a drop of marg or oil on low in microwave for a few min. Pour on cake & spread. You don't need to work hard making it even, it'll look nice regardless - then decorate.
Or buy ready whipped cream. Make a round cake & go around & around with the nozzle until done. Decorate with sprinkles, cherries, chocolate, etc.

The difficulty of icing is spreading it until it looks smooth on the cake.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins