Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
New apartment and bread goes moldy so much quicker

amother

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 11:30 am
We moved recently and I've noticed that bread goes moldy much quicker in our new apartment.

Any ideas as to why?

Twinster

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 11:34 am
Is your kitchen warm/humid?

I find that when I cook/bake more, my bread gets moldy a lot faster. (I don't have a window in my kitchen).

zaq

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 11:40 am
Assuming you are buying exactly the same bread as before with exactly the same freshness dating, you may have higher humidity, warmer temps, a higher concentration of mold spores in the air or different kinds of mold spores from the ones you lived with before. If you are not paying attention to expiration dates, your current grocery store may be stocking bread that is less fresh than your previous vendor stocked.

Store bread in the freezer, take out only a few slices at a time and put in paper, not plastic, bags. Plastic traps moisture which encourages mold. Sliced bread thaws in minutes so you can take bread out for each meal shortly before the meal. Don't store bread in the fridge, as it will go stale the fastest in the fridge.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen