Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
How to transfer medicaid to lakewood?

sourstix

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 6:44 pm
I am imy'h moving very soon and I need to transfer medicaid for my children only. I am afraid my children will be without coverage till I will be approved in lakewood. I have a child with special needs. so what can I do? or better how do I do it? I should go to medicaid office in lakewood and tell them I moved and how will I have coverage in the meantime? does anyone that works with this tell me definitely? I will call the jcc and ask but till then can someone tell me their expereince and what they did that worked?

pesek zman

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 7:55 pm
You can only have Medicaid in 1 state at a time. Before applying for Medicaid in NJ you must establish and prove residency there

thanks

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 7:57 pm
You should speak to the Medicaid offices. From my experience, once you get thru, or once you wait on line, they will answer your questions. Is not as mysterious as people make it out to be.

Emotional

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 8:08 pm
When I moved, I waited until my coverage in NY lapsed. For 7 months I would travel to Brooklyn for a doctor's appointment. Then I applied in New Jersey and I was approved. I did have a month in between, without coverage, but I just found it least complicated to do things this way.

Barbara

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 8:20 pm
Emotional wrote:
When I moved, I waited until my coverage in NY lapsed. For 7 months I would travel to Brooklyn for a doctor's appointment. Then I applied in New Jersey and I was approved. I did have a month in between, without coverage, but I just found it least complicated to do things this way.

OP should check the legality of that before proceeding. Logically, it seems that it would be illegal to continue to accept benefits from a state you don't live in. But, again, please check.

OP, you can't transfer Medicaid from state to state. Googling, you are supposed to inform your caseworker that you are closing out Medicaid. Then apply in your new state.

sourstix

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 8:35 pm
[quote="pesek zman"]You can only have Medicaid in 1 state at a time. Before applying for Medicaid in NJ you must establish and prove residency there[/quote]

and after that I would bring with me what? should I bring what I brought when I initially opened? obviously with some changes as to where I live and who dh boss is. is there anything I can do so I should be covered through these changes? so there wont be any lapses?

sourstix

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 8:40 pm
[quote="pesek zman"]You can only have Medicaid in 1 state at a time. Before applying for Medicaid in NJ you must establish and prove residency there[/quote]

are you sure about what you are writing? do you know the laws? I am not trying to be cynical or critical or anything. I just want answers from pp that know for sure, not I think kind of thing. cause I have a special needs child and I cant afford to mess up she needs alot of work and doctors and I dont have the time to make mistakes. I know your trying to help I am sorry if I come across tactless, I dont mean to. I just need answers that are definitely from someone who knows. I will speak to someone tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Barbara

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 8:56 pm
sourstix wrote:
are you sure about what you are writing? do you know the laws? I am not trying to be cynical or critical or anything. I just want answers from pp that know for sure, not I think kind of thing. cause I have a special needs child and I cant afford to mess up she needs alot of work and doctors and I dont have the time to make mistakes. I know your trying to help I am sorry if I come across tactless, I dont mean to. I just need answers that are definitely from someone who knows. I will speak to someone tomorrow and see what they have to say.

You need to be a resident of the state that you're receiving Medicaid from. That's pretty basic.

http://www.cms.gov/Medicare-Me......html

https://www.caring.com/questio.....other

Fabulous

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 8:58 pm
make an appt to speak to someone in yeled viyalda if you are currently in Brooklyn

pesek zman

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 8:59 pm
sourstix wrote:

I am a pediatric social worker at a major manhattan hospital. I most definitely know what I'm talking about and I come across this all the time. MAintaining NY Medicaid while living in NJ is most definitely fraud so id advise against it

Emotional

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 9:05 pm
Barbara wrote:
OP should check the legality of that before proceeding. Logically, it seems that it would be illegal to continue to accept benefits from a state you don't live in. But, again, please check.

OP, you can't transfer Medicaid from state to state. Googling, you are supposed to inform your caseworker that you are closing out Medicaid. Then apply in your new state.

Truth is, I didn't mention that I was pregnant at the time, and when I spoke to the HRA they had no options for me except to terminate coverage during my pregnancy, and there was no guarantee how long it would take to get me onto NJ coverage.

ROFL

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 9:11 pm
If you have a special needs child compare the services you will get in ny to nj services. Make sure that they are comparable to each other.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 9:17 pm
ROFL wrote:
If you have a special needs child compare the services you will get in ny to nj services. Make sure that they are comparable to each other.

Comparing services is a moot point. She can only receive the benefit from the state she resides in. As pointed out earlier, anything else is fraud.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 9:32 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Comparing services is a moot point. She can only receive the benefit from the state she resides in. As pointed out earlier, anything else is fraud.

Perhaps she meant, compare to see if it's worthwhile for you to move (because the services in NY are so much better/more than in Nj)

21young

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 9:39 pm
Call the LRRC in Lakewood. They are very knowledgeable and helpful. The number is 732-942-9292.

sourstix

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 10:14 pm
21young thanks I think this is the best way to go. thanks to everyone else I appreciate your replys and answers.

lkwdlady

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 10:23 pm
medicaid is retroactive so you will be covered if you use a medicaid dr (or go to the hospital) from the day you apply. It takes a little longer to get on to an HMO but if you go to CHEMED their dr.'s accept medicaid without the HMO. Chemed will also help you apply. They are a sister office to the LRRC.

sourstix

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 10:29 pm
lkwdldy so whos better lrrc or chemed? whats the diff between them?

LiLIsraeli

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 12:31 am
LRRC is the best place. It's a community referral center that works with the programs. Their employees are knowledgeable and very helpful. I think it's your best bet.

Chemed is a medical/dental clinic. They will bill you on a sliding scale if you don't have insurance and if you qualify based on income. But I don't think they assist with medicaid applications anymore. LRRC used to rent office space in Chemed's building, but now they have their own offices on 2nd Street.

cbsp

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 12:50 am
lkwdlady wrote:
medicaid is retroactive so you will be covered if you use a medicaid dr (or go to the hospital) from the day you apply. It takes a little longer to get on to an HMO but if you go to CHEMED their dr.'s accept medicaid without the HMO. Chemed will also help you apply. They are a sister office to the LRRC.

This is true in theory but you still may end up being responsible for medication or equipment purchased/rented during the retroactive time. Also, if you end up paying the hospital you may have a hard time getting back the money since Medicaid will pay the hospital and then you'll have to try to get the money back from them.

Slightly off topic of Medicaid but might be applicable. If you do end up spending greater than 10% of your annual income on medical expenses for a single child in a given 12 month period in the state of nj then you may qualify for reimbursement from the nj catastrophic fund.

Hatzlachah with your move!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics