Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cleaning hot water urn

acccdac

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 10:01 am
I read somewhere else that someone's daughter cleaned out their hot water urn for them and it was good as new.

I cant find that post so I'm reposting here.

If I remember correctly your daughter filled it with vinegar turned it on let it heat all the way and then spilled it out.

I have a secondary question......I have been told that if your hot water urn is used for hot water only then you can use it on both regular and pesach. If I clean it this way can I use it on pesach also?

heidi

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 10:04 am
Motzai Shabbos when the water is still boiling hot, unplug and immediately pour in citric acid. Let sit till the water cools, empty out water. Shiny, sparkling like new.
I have no idea about your Pesach question.

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 10:05 am
cleaning with vinegar & baking soda - helps loosen the calcification

as far as pesach I'm sure the answer is dependent on where you keep the urn & how you wash the urn ... or which rabbi you base your opinion

acccdac

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 10:15 am
also I wanted to know what you thought.....years ago mishpacha magazine did an artical on household appliances, how to maintenance them and how long they last.

They wrote that a hot water urn should last a year (maybe they were talking about the pump ones). I have always had mine for longer than a year. They last more like 5 years.

Anyone agree with the year idea?

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 10:33 am
I have my hot water urn for over a year. I only put in purified water though, so that may be one of the reasons. Cleaning it with sour salts is the way to go: it cleans much better than vinegar and baking soda.
Now regarding pesach: You need to ask a shaila - have you ever held let's say oatmeal below it while letting water run out? Your dayan will know what questions to ask...

Barbara

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 10:49 am
B'li ayin hara, we've had our urn at least 10 years.

I've heard people hold that you can use an urn for Pesach. I've heard people hold you can't. Because mine is on the counter with chametz, and is stored next to my toaster, I don't feel comfortable, and wouldn't even ask. YMMV.

black sheep

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 1:30 pm
acccdac wrote:
also I wanted to know what you thought.....years ago mishpacha magazine did an artical on household appliances, how to maintenance them and how long they last.

They wrote that a hot water urn should last a year (maybe they were talking about the pump ones). I have always had mine for longer than a year. They last more like 5 years.

Anyone agree with the year idea?

this advice was probably sponsored by Water Urns United. We have our urns for much longer than a year. my last one lasted about ten years, and my current one is almost three years old and working fine.

I use CLR about twice a year to clean it. (if you do this, make sure to run at least three hot water cycles before using the water, CLR is poison!) I don't usually use it on pesach, but you could probably kasher it by doing a run of hot water and then spilling it out (after cleaning) and cleaning the outside really well. but you should probably ask a shaila to be sure...

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 1:47 pm
What is CLR?

black sheep

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 3:18 pm
http://www.walmart.com/ip/CLR-.....=p13n

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 3:33 pm
black sheep wrote:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/CLR-Calcium-Lime-Rust-Remover-128-fl-oz/16662175?action=product_interest&action_type=title&placement_id=irs-2-m1&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=E685MBA2Ysib4k1gQjzfCo&category=&client_guid=c73144ca-2d41-4f23-8963-73a19caac970&customer_id_enc=&config_id=2&parent_item_id=15716789&parent_anchor_item_id=15716789&guid=b4c10f7f-da96-4a23-9e78-7d5e775772ee&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

Thanks. What else do you use it for besides the urn?

black sheep

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 5:51 pm
thats it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics