Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Burnt Out

amother

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 7:00 am
Caring for this challenging child and her siblings has totally burn me out. It doesn't help that all of her difficulties are related to her frustration with a medical issue so I can't just "give up" because medication must go in.

Us mothers never get a break, do we?

How do you cope? I can hardly do the other things (work, home management) I need to do because I spend 90% of my brainpower thinking what I need to do to help her.

imasinger

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 7:08 am
What help do you have in the way of advisors?

I get burned out, too, but there are people (at school, mental health professionals) that I can turn to when I feel overwhelmed.

Regular sleep and exercise are important too, not that I'm always so good about them.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 7:10 am
I am totally with you

It's so hard when you feel your constant effort is barely showing through!

amother

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 7:18 am
Sounds so rough. Can you get chesed girls to come after school to give you an extra pair of hands or a short break?

To clarify, you have a dd with a medical issue who must take her meds but doesn't want to? That's been one of the hardest things for me. Behaviorists have no good answers for how to get a kid to take meds when there's never an option of , "well if you don't take it you will get this consequence", because they HAVE to take it.

How old is did? Is this a young kid compliance issue or is it a teenager refusal/not being on top of things? I've done both and can tell you what did and didn't work for me, if that helps.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 9:00 am
Yeah it's a compliance issue. But it's affected her behavior overall. She's just angry. She's just turned 4.
And her younger sibling copies her because he thinks that's how to behave because he idolises her.

In terms of advisors, I think I've used everything I can. I should probably go to a therapist, it's just expensive and time consuming! I also have issues committing and would feel bad to cancel.

It's hard work.

I feel if I leave them with someone like a chessed girl or babysitter (which no one wants to come where I live anyway) they really have issues with it. They're obsessed with having my attention. (Attachment issues as well).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)