Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Maternity leave for NJ Early Intervention therapist - help!

amother

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 1:42 pm
I am feeling lost. I am what's called an independent contractor, so I don't qualify for maternity leave through the agency that gives me early intervention cases. Has anyone with this job gotten maternity leave money through the government? Do I fall under a similar category as self employed? I can't really afford to go for one or more months without a paycheck, but obviously I will need some time off for maternity leave! Can anyone advise?
Thanks!

SingALong

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 1:59 pm
I assume you're working under a 1099?

I did that for a while and I got zero. I tried finding out what to do, how to get some sort of disability but nada. I think you may be able to apply for disability through the government, but I don't know how to go about it. I remember applying for stuff and getting denied. 😥😥😥
Sorry I wasn't much help.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 6:20 pm
Thanks for replying. Yes I do a 1099. Darn, I think you may be right, but if anyone else knows of any other elgibility please let me know! Thanks!

miami85

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 8:25 pm
Can you get an Aflac policy? I know I got mine through an employer initially, but it's portable--I.e. you can take it to any job provided you work a certain amount per week, but you can't use it for maternity leave for 10 months once you get it, so if you are pregnant now its too late but try to get onto it ASAP so you can have it for future pregnancies.

I also do EI and recently had a baby, I'm in NY so I don't know things are in NJ, but one thing I did--mind you I had another paying job, but might work for you--is I kept only a few easy cases towards the end so I would be working just a little bit, and since you are allowed to miss 3 sessions w/o "penalty" I just told the families that I would come on the 3rd week--mind you I had 3 cases at the end, 1 was 30 min weekly with a baby and one was 2x monthly with toddlers. It sounds a little crazy but at least you get something.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics