Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Trading dc mm for a toy

#1 Mom

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 2:25 pm
Just curious to know how many of u out there would consider trading all or most of your children's nosh that they got on purim for a nice new toy. Would u say just let them keep it it's once a year even though it's so much garbage. Or would u consider trading if child is ok with it?

#1 Mom

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 7:27 pm
Bump

runninglate

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 7:30 pm
I did that. But I let her decide what to keep and what to throw out. I would only do it for a willing child. She was perfectly happy to do it.

zaq

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 7:55 pm
Sure, I think this is a great idea.

NYmommy

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 8:00 pm
My kids trade it in every year for a gift.

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 8:52 pm
I would consider it. So far so good with simply throwing away excess. But I imagine the situation might change as the child grows older. I showed her how I was reading the ingredients and sorting between things that are very nasty (contain a lot of artificial chemical junk, HFCS, etc. Like Laffy Taffies.), things that are a little nasty (some artificial colors and sugary but not the worst of the worst - like winkies or organic lollipops.) and things that are just nosh (potato chips.) On Purim itself I allowed her to choose one item from the whole lot first, special Purim treat. Then we put away all the "OK nosh" (she didn't get THAT much) and she chose a couple of the not-the-worst candy to have as Shabbos treats and the like for the next few weeks, and then we threw the bad junk in the trash.

I do allow her to taste junk once in a while so she doesn't have such a "forbidden fruit" feeling about them. But she knows it's not good for our bodies so we don't want to eat it most of the time, and certainly not more than a little bit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics