Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
ISO roast or brisket with wine

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 12:20 pm
Looking for a roast or brisket recipe cooked with wine. No sugar in the recipe (so no ketchup etc.)
I remember a really simple recipe involving wine, onions, meat and that's pretty much it, but I don't remember the recipe or where I found it...
Any suggestions?
(Wine with tomato sauce is ok also.)
Thanks!

Iymnok

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 12:33 pm
Brown a brisket in a little oil. Add equal parts cheap wine and water and a teaspoon of salt. Simmer for 5 hours or so. (I did 8 by mistake and it was fine) the longer, the more tender. Keep it covered and check the water level regularly. Flip it if you feel like it.
Refrigerate it. When cold slice thin and return the liquid to a pot to thicken to gravy. Thicken with flour (potato starch for Pesach) adding water, wine or salt as needed. When reheating, make sure the heavy goes between the slices.
I use the wines from mm's for cooking.

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 2:10 pm
I always start off any meats with olive oil, garlic powder & black pepper rubbed into the outside [sometimes paprika as well but not sure I like that with the wine]

wine, garlic cloves, purple [pearl] onions as they are sweeter, you can add rosemary too & even diced red potatoes

never cover before it's browned on both sides or it will taste boiled - but keep checking on the liquids as it condenses you want to add a little more at a time - after about an hour or so you can add more wine and/or water & cover it keeping it on a very low flame at this point

after 3 hours let it cool down to room temperature [ish] slice with the grain ... then put back into it's gravy to heat up

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 6:09 pm
Slice/chop 1 medium or 2 small onions, 2 small or 1 large carrot, 1 stalk of celery.
Shmear brisket with mixture of flour (about 1.5tbsp), salt, pepper and very generous amount of paprika. Heat 1tbsp oil on skillet, brown all sides. (This would minimise shrinkage and meat drying out.)
Remove the meat into an oven-proof casserole that's large enough.
(If the meat is too big, you may have to cut in half).

In the same skillet, sautee vegetables for about 3-5minutes till they start to get tender.
Lay roughly 1/2 under the meat and 1/2 on top.
Glaze the skillet with 1cup dry red wine, 2teasp onion soup mix. (no need to heat).
You can add a bit of chopped tomato, BBQ sauce, etc.
Pour over meat/veggie. Seal tight with foil.

Bake 170C for 45min to 1 hr, then reduce heat to 130c and continue to cook covered for
3hrs. (This is for 1.5kg--about 3.5lbs brisket). Let cool. Once cool to handle, slice meat
across the grain. Collect all juice and vegetables, refrigerate and lift off fat. Blend to make gravy.
Put back sliced meat in the gravy and reheat thoroughly before serving.
They also freeze beautifully. (Make sure to slice and blend veggies to gravy first)

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 9:42 pm
Delicious.
Thanks, all!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics