Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Mommy And me sick kids

amother1223

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 12:39 am
Is it appropriate to bring a sick baby under 1 to a mommy and me class? A mommy brought her daughter (4th child and 9 months old) to mommy and me at my house (it's my first baby she is 4 months old bh) vaby was touching my babies hands w her snot on it. Vaby kept having runny nose.

Is this normal?

imaima

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 12:53 am
If it's just snot, maybe the other mommy didnt consider her sick. If she had fever, that's different. Some people, babies invluded, have a runny nose all through the cold months of the year, due to the weather.

scrltfr

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 1:37 am
No, it's gross and unacceptable. When my kid has a runny nose I run after him with a tissue. No one needs to be subjected to his shnot.

amother1223

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 8:44 am
My question is should she bring baby out to be around other babies at all?

relish

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 9:36 am
I guess that's why I don't do mommy and me. My kids have perpetual runny noses for their first year, from being in daycare. If this mother sends her kids to day care, she may consider runny nose just a fact of life.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 9:47 am
AS someone else said, a runny nose is not sick. HOwever, she should be wiping it. My son, who btw was never in day care always has a runny nose. I've taken him to ENTs who said, that some kids are just like that. But a fever or something worse is another story.

SplitPea

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 10:11 am
With my first I was very mad when people brought kids with runny noses around my kids.

Now on #4 I realize in winter young kids LIVE with runny noses and it's a matter of life. I no longer see a runny nose (without cought and congestion) sick.

If it's your first I say your feelings now are valid but I am guessing you would think differently when you have 2-3 and realize runny noses are part of life.

In the future make a rule that no one can touch your baby. (Please only touch the feet)

imaima

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 10:17 am
Mimisinger wrote:
AS someone else said, a runny nose is not sick. HOwever, she should be wiping it. My son, who btw was never in day care always has a runny nose. I've taken him to ENTs who said, that some kids are just like that. But a fever or something worse is another story.

This is what I meant. Runny nose doesn'tmean sick. But it has to be wiped.

imaima

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 10:19 am
SplitPea wrote:
With my first I was very mad when people brought kids with runny noses around my kids.

Now on #4 I realize in winter young kids LIVE with runny noses and it's a matter of life. I no longer see a runny nose (without cought and congestion) sick.

If it's your first I say your feelings now are valid but I am guessing you would think differently when you have 2-3 and realize runny noses are part of life.

In the future make a rule that no one can touch your baby. (Please only touch the feet)

Now on #4, who has time for Mommy and me???

SplitPea

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 10:54 am
imaima wrote:
Now on #4, who has time for Mommy and me???

I homeschool everything is mommy and me.

But what I mean is with #4 I don't think twice about about kids with runny noses around my babies.

lfab

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 11:02 am
Agree with previous posters. If a runny nose qualified as sick between them I would have someone home from school everyday all winter. If a child has a fever that's another story. Yeah another kids snot on your baby is gross so simply wash your baby's hands off after the group is done. If you are uncomfortable having other children around your baby either make a no touching rule or don't host/attend mommy and me until he/she is older. You can also make sure tissues are readily accessible to make it easier for other moms to wipe their babies noses.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 11:24 am
And, not to be gross, but there's a difference between clear runny snot and gross green thick mucus.

nyer1

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 12:05 pm
I would follow the rule given by my son's preschool:
if a fever or rash was present, keep the kid home for 24 hours before bringing back. or antibiotics for 24 hours. or consult a doctor.

but then again, if a kid were kept home for every single sniffle or cough, kids would never be at school between ages 2-5! parents need to use their judgement. if it seems like the kid is sick, it is so unfair to bring them to school or playgroup or mommy and me because it's inconvenient to keep them home -- then everyone else has to suffer.

my son was on and off sick for 2 weeks. if he had a fever, I kept him home the next day. he returned back to school after being home for 2 days… after being fever free for 24 hours and being on antibiotics, the doctor said he could go back. he still had a runny nose and a bit of a cough, but he was being treated.. .although he was germy, I doubt he was contagious at that point.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics