Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Yeshiva for 15 yr old boy, driving distance from NY

amother

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 7:33 pm
I'm posting for my nephew because my sister is not a member and I offered.

Right now he's in a yeshiva that's good, but not a right fit for him. The way my sister put it, he's willing to learn, but doesn't want pressure. Doesn't mind the yeshivish levush. He does not want a place that has a strong emphasis on secular subjects. They prefer driving distance from NY, not flying. Right now he's in a yeshiva that is driving distance and comes home every shabbos. A dorm is a must. Boarding is completely out. That's what he does now and does not enjoy it at all.

Thank you very much.

doctorima

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 9:13 pm
Look into Chofetz Chaim in Rochester and Shaarei Arazim in Monsey.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 6:46 am
scranton

amother

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 9:06 am
Thank you both. I'm relaying it. Anything else?

amother

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 9:16 am
Ohr Naftali in New Windsor. Small yeshiva, very warm rebbeim & menahel . Speaking from personal experience with family member. The boys come home every shabbos.

cbsp

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 2:27 pm
Engelwood? Bayonne? Rabbi Eider's Yeshiva in Passaic? Mesivta of Clifton?

amother

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 4:20 pm
cbsp wrote:
Engelwood? Bayonne? Rabbi Eider's Yeshiva in Passaic? Mesivta of Clifton?

Are these recommendations or schools you heard of? He's in one of the ones you listed and they have boarding and dorming and a strong emphasis on secular studies.

cbsp

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 5:27 pm
amother wrote:
Are these recommendations or schools you heard of? He's in one of the ones you listed and they have boarding and dorming and a strong emphasis on secular studies.

Hmmm, we know the Engelwood Yeshiva. AFAIK they are dorming only and while they teach secular subjects there does not seem to be an emphasis on it. My nephew is in Bayonne and he's not the pressured type and is happy there. I do not know if it's a boarding situation because he always refers to "the dorm". I know a few former Engelwood guys that are now in R Eiders Yeshiva. I forgot you didn't want the boarding, I was concentrating on the less pressure aspect. Similarly for Clifton although I really thought they have dorm. Having said all that I "liked" the post suggesting New Windsor. Definitely a dorm situation, beautiful campus, great hanhalah, most guys we know that went/go there are happy as are their parents.

Hatzlachah!

amother

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 5:50 pm
Clifton has a dorm, though it's small. They aren't so focused on secular studies, though last I heard they were trying to up the quality/consistency some. And the guys who go there tend to be pretty laid back.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics