Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Too much noise outside at bedtime
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 9:47 am
ChutzPAh wrote:
That's one of the reasons why people choose not to live on the ground floor in the front of a building. Where I live those apartments are cheaper because they are less in demand.

By us they are more expensive becuause they are closer to the ground, meaning less schlepping. I guess I didn't think too much into the future as a Kallah.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 10:41 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for your concern. Yes, I have brought it up with the doctor numerous times. Yes child drinks enough. When child is at home child drinks about 7 cups of fluids, and that's besides the babysitter. I was even concerned about child drinking too much, and spoke to the doctor. Child is perfectly healthy, just needs a lot of sleep or gets really cranky.

As a side note, parents who say that their toddler won't go to sleep before a late time, perhaps you missed their window, and now they are overtired, or perhaps they are too stimulated by the goings on in your home. I am able to tone everything down an hour before because my oldest is still very young. So, I am able to see her cues clearly. When we are away, I may miss her cues, and then she won't either go to bed on time-leading to fever. Therefore, I became very on top of it.

It sounds like your child medically truly needs to go to bed at 6 otherwise dc gets sick the very next day? So just curious why you said you want dc to go to bed at 6 because you need space? (Which btw most moms do understand even if their kids go to sleep a bit later)

Either way I agree it's better to make internal changes such as sound machine, switching rooms or even moving. We once lived on the ground floor apt for a short time and I wasnt a big fan.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 10:59 am
I really really sympathize with your bedtime difficulties. My kids take forever to fall asleep, too. I find music or story cds help.

But you do understand that even speaking in whispers 13 kids will add up to noise? You want her to muzzle them? [b]
Did you see me complaining about the noise & my kids bed time???
I said I made peace with the situation a long time ago!
Bh my kids falls asleep without a problem.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 11:04 am
amother wrote:
I really really sympathize with your bedtime difficulties. My kids take forever to fall asleep, too. I find music or story cds help.

But you do understand that even speaking in whispers 13 kids will add up to noise? You want her to muzzle them? [b]
Did you see me complaining about the noise & my kids bed time???
I said I made peace with the situation a long time ago!
Bh my kids falls asleep without a problem.

I may have thought I was addressing the same person. Sorry, but all our amothering is confusing.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 11:09 am
I first began using a noise machine when I lived on the 6th floor of an apartment building. The building was on the street of an ambulance route, meaning there were REALLY LOUD sirens at all times of the day or night. For some reason the way the apt was set up and the way sound travels and echoes, the sirens sounded as if I was standing right next to them. Even with the windows shut. So yeah, I went with the noise machine option for a couple of years and everything was fine bh.

Barbara

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 11:27 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for your concern. Yes, I have brought it up with the doctor numerous times. Yes child drinks enough. When child is at home child drinks about 7 cups of fluids, and that's besides the babysitter. I was even concerned about child drinking too much, and spoke to the doctor. Child is perfectly healthy, just needs a lot of sleep or gets really cranky.

As a side note, parents who say that their toddler won't go to sleep before a late time, perhaps you missed their window, and now they are overtired, or perhaps they are too stimulated by the goings on in your home. I am able to tone everything down an hour before because my oldest is still very young. So, I am able to see her cues clearly. When we are away, I may miss her cues, and then she won't either go to bed on time-leading to fever. Therefore, I became very on top of it.

Have you addressed these issues with your pediatrician? Not that your child seems to drink an extraordinary amount, or that she requires more sleep than most children. But that she develops a fever if she doesn't go to bed on time. Fevers are generally caused by the body fighting an infection, although there are certain other conditions that can cause them. I've never heard of fevers from an occasional lack of sleep, even in a toddler, and can't even begin to understand what mechanism would cause it.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 11:49 am
Barbara wrote:
Have you addressed these issues with your pediatrician? Not that your child seems to drink an extraordinary amount, or that she requires more sleep than most children. But that she develops a fever if she doesn't go to bed on time. Fevers are generally caused by the body fighting an infection, although there are certain other conditions that can cause them. I've never heard of fevers from an occasional lack of sleep, even in a toddler, and can't even begin to understand what mechanism would cause it.

Yes, and the doctor said not to worry. But, I will bring it up again, because of all of you showing concern.

heidi

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 11:51 am
Barbara wrote:

My oldest used to get a fever every time he was overtired. Believe it or not, it's true.
OP, I have read some of these pages, and I sympathize with you. My children are also light sleepers and when they were younger I had a pretty rigid bedtime routine.
That said, 6pm is unreasonable to ask kids to stop playing. So is 7 and 8. If the street is still rocking at 9 then maybe you could ask them nicely.
Sorry it's so hard for you.

animeme

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 11:53 am
A practical solution, since the stakes seem to be high for you and you might need this in other locations as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Vic-Firt.....31GGE

Noise cancelling headphones for kids. Not replacing it with something else or trying to cover it, but shutting it out. Not perfect, but pretty effective.

You can search for the kind that are perfect for you, but this type has worked well for us. DS uses them because he hears every little noise and it keep him up, including noise from outside from his second floor room. And he is very head-sensory and a side sleeper, but still wears them- it just took a little adjustment.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 12:04 pm
animeme wrote:
A practical solution, since the stakes seem to be high for you and you might need this in other locations as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Vic-Firt.....31GGE

Noise cancelling headphones for kids. Not replacing it with something else or trying to cover it, but shutting it out. Not perfect, but pretty effective.

You can search for the kind that are perfect for you, but this type has worked well for us. DS uses them because he hears every little noise and it keep him up, including noise from outside from his second floor room. And he is very head-sensory and a side sleeper, but still wears them- it just took a little adjustment.

Now see this would concern me much more than a white noise machine (which incidentally I do use with my dc at night).

Did your pediatrician approve of using headphones for young children all night?

animeme

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 12:06 pm
Yes. We just need them to get him to sleep. Then they can come off.

Whatever works for you.

Terri

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 12:53 pm
Re white noise machine:
I checked with my pediatrician and audiologist: both say there's no problem with sound machine and it induces deeper sleep. My ten year old (as well as younger kids) has been sleeping with it for years and bh no learning disabilities or processing disorders etc. It helps me sleep as well.

As a very light sleeper and a mom of light sleepers, I empathize with the real challenge and frustration of your situation. At the same time I fail to understand why you wouldn't use a sound machine. It's been a lifesaver for us.

Good luck

Terri

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 1:26 pm
Oops I just read through the thread and see my points were made already

Michelle3825

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 3:30 pm
I'm pretty sure no one mentioned this yet, but why not get a portable air conditioner that you can just set up in their room? That way the room will be cool enough for you to be able to close the windows, plus the air conditioner might make some noise as well.

It must be very frustrating for you-- I would hate for my kids to not be able to sleep.

imaima

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 4:04 pm
amother wrote:
Why can't parents teach their kids to be considerate of others? Isn't that the first thing we are supposed to teach our kids?
דרך ארץ קדמה לתורה

This is my husband's premise. He wants me to say something. He says I am obligated, because nobody else will speak up for our children, and I am not allowed to let them suffer in this way. (Older child gets sick for a couple of days after one or two nights of going to sleep late).
Based on everyone here online, it seems like majority says otherwise.
Why?

Because it is not realistic
Do you have rooms facing the other side? can you switch rooms?

imaima

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 4:24 pm
amother wrote:
They are exhausted at that hour. I have no problem with getting them into bed. My children don't have issue listening b'h. Just the yelling keeps them from falling asleep.

I don't know what kind of children you have. If my kids are exhausted, they fall asleep even if it is hot or loud. Really, shutting a window for half an hour shouldn't be so outrageous.

imaima

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 4:29 pm
amother wrote:
I have little kids. The earliest I ever put my kids to bed is at 7.

The theories about the sound machine are ridiculous. The volume is adjustable and on a very low volume it would block out SOME of the noise and create a calming effect.

Dont call the authorities. You will have no friends or neighbors who will like you. They will know that it was you who called and will resent you.

Really? Who cares?

amother

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 7:41 pm
So, here is the update.
I think the mother of these boys is on imamother, and I would like to publically thank her. My children have been able to go to sleep for the past few nights. The boys are still outside, but they now talk instead of yelling. They do not play right under our window.

I didn't speak to the boys or the mother. I didn't have to. The problem resolved as if it never happened.

Thank you neighbor!
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics