Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Manchester

amother

Post Sun, Mar 08 2015, 5:46 am
We may have to relocate in Manchester (dh's work).
I myself am not British and do not know anything about it Sad
Could you tell me about the schools there? We are yeshivish of the more modern type. Internet, chol...
We would rather not a Chabad or MO school, nor a very charedi one where the chol is lacking and the culture is very very closed.. is there something like a more laid back, out of towny bais yaakov or jewish day school?

Do people in th eirev live in houses or apartments? what is the real estate like, how expensive?

I heard of insecurity with the Muslims there, how bad is it ? Google brings some nasty stuff Sad

Thank you!!

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 1:52 pm
amother wrote:
We would rather not a Chabad or MO school, nor a very charedi one where the chol is lacking and the culture is very very closed.. is there something like a more laid back, out of towny bais yaakov or jewish day school?

Hmmm not a Chabad/MO/very charedi schools? That leaves a very limited choice I'm afraid.
Are your children in primary school (elementary school) as opposed to secondary school (high school)?
The only one I can think of is Broughton JPS. It is co-ed for chol but believe separate for older grades in kodesh. Bnos Yisroel is definitely haredish, both King David and the one in Cheadle are co-ed all the way through. I heard good things about Junior Girls day school (or Jewish Girls day school?) but that was a while ago. At secondary school, King David has single-gender sections.

Last edited by Mrs Bissli on Mon, Mar 09 2015, 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

nixi

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 2:19 pm
Broughton Jewish is a mixed boys and girls school and also has quite a variety of parents from barely shomer shabbos to frum modern yeshivish. Jewish day is a very big school both for boys and girls but in seperate buildings. It is more chareidi type but there are modern people there who fit into that hashkafa.

What age are your kids? Most people in the eiruv live in houses and compared to london the house prices are pretty reasonable.

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 09 2015, 2:45 pm
you might be happy with Yavneh (attached to King david but seperate boys and girls classes) for secondary school. Jewish day/jewish high/jewish grammer have gone more right wing recently (I think) but they teach chol subjects, although I am not sure if they do a levels.

Houses are pretty cheap in manchester.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 9:10 am
Sorry, I should have been clearer...
We are (modern) yeshivish. But my husband is not the type to wear a hat during the week, I wear a long wig and sometimes scarves, we do sneakers and clean videos and are CHILLED. We are for early gender separation though it's not a MUST. We definitely do not belong to a very charedi setting, nor to MO or chasidish/Chabad. Hebrew Academy fits us in the USA, or a chilled Bais Yakov. I have been told this is harder to find in Europe. Sad
We B H have kids gan to secondary.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 9:19 am
When in Rome.

You will be odd enough as foreigners even if you do walk the local walk.

Of course Europe isn't as chilled as the US. The US is a unique place.

A few minor headgear adjustments may have to occur. Uprooting IS tiresome but it seems to be what you are doing.

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 9:42 am
I see plenty of chilled looking people in manchester. I am not so familiar with the yeshivish community though. SInce there are only a limited amount of schools each school definitely has more of a mix in it.

People are also really nice and friendly even if you are not exactly the same hashkafah as them.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 9:47 am
We would do fine in a mix of (serios) MO and yeshivish, or modern yeshivish and charedi. Ideally we would be neither the frummies nor the freyers...
Which one(s) would that be?

amother

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 11:03 am
Thank you to those who sent me the links; I still have nothing about Bnos and Manchester Jewish. Thank you!

nixi

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 1:16 pm
Sounds like for primary school you need to look at Jewish day or Broughton Jewish. Although Broughton Jewish is mixed girls and boys it sounds like it could work for you on other levels. If you wanted to send to Jewish day school there are people like you there too just there are also others who may be more chareidi and you may also have to make a few minor changes in terms of dress or certain things you do.

As for high school Jewish high for girls and Jewish grammar for boys sound like they may be right.

Are you planning a pilot trip? Which area are you looking to live in?

nixi

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 1:18 pm
Oh and Bnos is very Beis yaacov and not what you are describing as looking for. Certainly no movikes or headscarves.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 1:32 pm
Thank you Smile
I can ditch the scarves... but not the long wigs. Nor the kiddy movies. I could say I use the net for work but don't want to hide I have a FB. I use it to talk to my family.

When does Broughton stop being co-ed? how much do they mix socially? We're not so comfortable with it after 5 th grade (definitely first grade for sports) unless they really don't have recess together. What about Jewish day?

We want boys to graduate, but in the end we find kodesh more important and will do with "ok" chol as long as kodesh is really good. We are chilled but our girls are tzniut, cover their legs at 3 or 4, boys have kippa and tzitzis from opshern on.

We definitely need a pilot trip, and to know more about the prices first. I have never even been there!

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 2:08 pm
I believe Broughton is co-ed all the way to Year 6 for Chol, they separate for koddesh from like Year 3 from what I heard. FYI, UK schools start one year earlier (so 5yr old starts primary school at Year 1, 11yr old starts secondary school at Year 7).

amother

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 9:58 am
Thank you!

What about security

rainbow baby

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 10:21 am
We are Chabad and send to Broughton Jewish for primary school and yavnah for secondary school. If you send to Jewish Day or Jewish High you have to sign a form that you do not have the internet at home. All state Jewish schools have security guards outside the schools but the honest truth everyone still walks around like they always did before this summer and what happened in Paris. There are extra police walking around with CST members joining in with them.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 6:27 pm
Security wise, as rainbow baby said, CST and shomrim are highly visible within the community. (The idea being they function more as a deterrent). There are CST guards in front of shuls and schools, aside from small shtiebels and private miniyanims, there are locked gates/intercoms. School children at mainstream Jewish schools go through regular drills for both fire evacuation and intruder invacuation. Just like any other large European cities there are sizeable Muslim population (though more likely of Pakistani or Bangladeshi origin rather than middle eastern). Personally I don't live there and only visit occasionally but I never felt unsafe. Needless to say, you need to be street savvy and be aware of surroundings and know which areas to avoid after dark.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 12:02 pm
Is the school sitchgetting better? It used to be very hard getting into school as a newbie, we were told... not enough schools too many kids. Except maybe broughton.

bandcm

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 1:09 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
When in Rome.

You will be odd enough as foreigners even if you do walk the local walk.

Of course Europe isn't as chilled as the US. The US is a unique place.

A few minor headgear adjustments may have to occur. Uprooting IS tiresome but it seems to be what you are doing.

My dear, Manchester is about twenty times more "chilled" than anywhere in the tri-state area.
It is a fabulous place to raise a family, if not the most glamorous.

Jewish Day is chareidi all the way, as is Bnos and Beis Chinuch.
I think that for junior school, Broughton Jewish is what you are looking for - about half the mothers are in shaitels or kerchiefs, the other half are not. It offers a thouroughly frum education, and the children (as a whole) have very nice midos. Then you would go to Jewish High or Jewish Grammar for high school.
Yavneh is too modern for someone who defines herself as "modern yeshivish".

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Oct 02 2015, 8:04 am
Is there no school where all or almost all mothers cover, and are not anti filtered internet either?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating