Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby refuses bottle

Sudy

Post Fri, Mar 13 2015, 10:08 am
My DS 8 months refuses to take a bottle and I need some ideas from my fellow moms.

He will nurse but my milk is almost gone and I don't have the energy to concentrate and bring up the supply. He will take solids but its not enough for a growing baby.

Please give me ideas for help.

Stars

Post Fri, Mar 13 2015, 11:44 am
The flow might be too slow for him. Try a sippy cup.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Mar 13 2015, 12:10 pm
Flow too slow, too quick, or will take it from someone not you.

lfab

Post Fri, Mar 13 2015, 12:13 pm
Has he been getting breastmilk exclusivelly until now? If so he may just need time to get used to the taste of formula. Keep offering the bottle and when he's hungry enough hopefully he'll take it. You can also try mixing the formula with pumped breastmilk for now to get him used to the taste. Every few days decrease the amount of breastmilk and increase the amount of formula. Also try to have someone else give the bottle/don't be around when it's offered. If he sees you he's old enough that he may refuse the bottle in the hope that you'll nurse him instead.

Miri7

Post Fri, Mar 13 2015, 12:15 pm
I had the same problem. I tried different bottles and nipples (higher or lower flow). Eventually he took it. But it was soooooo frustrating!!

musicmom

Post Fri, Mar 13 2015, 12:51 pm
Hi. My baby is the same age and I recently had the same problem. I call my lactation consultant for these things. She advised me to mix the breastmilk with baby cereal or baby food. My husband has been mixing the milk with baby oatmeal and baby fruit. Baby likes it!

momspower

Post Fri, Mar 13 2015, 12:56 pm
Maybe try a different nipple for the bottle. There are few kinds out there.
Good luck

greenfire

Post Fri, Mar 13 2015, 1:00 pm
you gotta try every nipple & every bottle till he finds one that he will suckle from ... [I had one like that it was mind boggling]

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Mar 13 2015, 1:38 pm
very frustrating!!!

when baby was about 9 mo we finally (after trying maaaaaany dif bottles/nipples) got her to take a bottle.
what worked for us was the nuby & the adiri. (also took lots of tears on both ends...)

Good Luck

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jun 10 2018, 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total

asp40

Post Fri, Mar 13 2015, 2:04 pm
Unless you are pregnant or some other medical issue, your milk will not suddenly disappear. Your might never feel full of milk, but as long as the baby has enough wet and poopy diapers, you have milk.

smss

Post Fri, Mar 13 2015, 2:51 pm
asp40 wrote:
Unless you are pregnant or some other medical issue, your milk will not suddenly disappear. Your might never feel full of milk, but as long as the baby has enough wet and poopy diapers, you have milk.

this. why do you think you have no milk? are you on hormonal BC?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics