Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Question about fasting and anesthesia

amother

Post Sat, Mar 14 2015, 11:37 pm
Hi All,

My 2.5 year old is scheduled to have her tonsils and adnoids removed this week at CHOP. I was given an arrival time of 1:45 PM. They want her fasting from 11:00 PM the previous night. She may drink specific liquids until 2 hours before her arrival.

I am really upset and worried about the length of the fasting. Given her age,I figured we would be scheduled earlier in the day,however,there is no way to change that . Even switching surgery to another day will not guarantee me an earlier slot.

I would love if any doctor or PA on here could answer if all that fasting is really required? Given my last experience with surgery at CHOP,where we were told to come at 10 AM and weren't taken for surgery until 3 PM ,with a 3 year old, this current situation may result in 15-18 hours of fasting for my poor baby!

I myself had surgery recently and had to fast from 12 am the night before with a scheduled arrival at hospital at 6AM .I was in the OR by 7:00 or so. The surgery was a 3 hour procedure. Why was that ok in terms of my fasting time and how does the situation of having my baby fast so long,make any sense?!

If anyone can shed any light on this, I would appreciate it!

Fabulous

Post Sat, Mar 14 2015, 11:39 pm
I don't know specific about tonsils but most surgeries will say food 12 hours before and drink less time.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 12:06 am
Hatzlocha. My10 year old is having his adnoids removed this week. I dint have the x he's scheduled for until they call us a day before surgery. My instructions say no food after midnight. Clear liquids ( water or apple juice) until 5:30 am. Nothing after that. Good luck.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 12:19 am
I have gone to the OR with little kids more times that I can remember, and was always scheduled for early morning, 7 or8. 1.45 is way too late.

Simple1

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 8:16 am
That seems too late for a child that young. They usually schedule younger patients first. I just did OR dental work with a child that age, and even with an early appointment, I was still nervous about the fasting part.

But I would NOT mess with the directions because I wouldn't want to chv"sh risk something going wrong with the anesthesia. But I think you should discuss it with the doctor or whoever is in charge and tell him your concerns.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 8:18 am
Op here: thanks for all the replies. They were unresponsive when I tried explaining it. Whatever I have looked at online didn't show any necessity of fasting 18 hours...

Simple1

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 9:02 am
They can't switch your appointment - even for another day?

amother

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 9:07 am
Op: no there are no guarantees that she would be seen earlier on any given day...

water_bear88

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 9:13 am
Could you ask for IV fluids once you get to the hospital? I assume she'll have an IV in anyway, and it would help if you're stuck with an extra wait of several hours after she has to stop oral liquids.

animeme

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 9:22 am
If dd can drink until two hours before, she should be fine. The no food thing is really important because of how the anesthesia shuts down the digestive system , and I have no idea if it's different for toddlers.

Re. The time. It does seem late, but try to get an idea from them if they might change it last minute. Will you be getting a day-before call to finalize? It's common to get a new time then. Let them know that if someone cancella (can happen because of fever, etc) you're interested in being moved up if possible.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics