Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Batya Ruddell new serial False Fronts in Binah
Previous  1  2  3

rise above

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 10:08 am
Well.. this week the two finally meet.
Let's see how this plays itself out.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 10:17 am
It's funny, but when I think of the stories that Binah has cut short or altered for contents, I wonder where this one will go, with a creep like Mark on the stage........

muzik

Post Sun, Nov 02 2014, 12:07 pm
I am enjoying the story a lot, and trying to follow the intracacies of the various sub-plots. It's really exciting!!

The talia/asher/koby family dynamics - that's (I think) the central main stuff - I'd like to learn more about Koby --and get more of a deeper picture of him, besides that he's a troubled kid, artsy, who doesn't get along with his father. I'd like to see how he is with his friends.

The Ella/Dini stuff is very interesting with Dini doing the nasty thing with the editorial and framing Ella ---and intriguing. The running away thing seems to be a pattern in the novel... Koby ran away in the beginning, then they found him....etc. Now Dini runs away, Ella runs away....

It is interesting to see the meanness and troubled behavior of Dini = how she appears so goodie-goodie in school but really has this dark side to her. That's fascinating and fits to the False Fronts title.

And finally, the subplot of Mark/Debbie etc....some of you are saying they are missionaries which is interesting and maybe feasible. That would put a whole exciting and unique twist on the whole thing.

I like that Talya is applying to work at the school and that would help tie things together between her and Ella. I also like that Asher is seeking music lessons for his son. I enjoyed reading how he was dabbling with the instruments in the music store. I could relate to that. I hope music will prove to be a way that Asher and his son will bond..that would be very cool..

joy613

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 11:35 am
Can someone fill me in a little? I get someone's old binahs a week later but sometimes I don't end up getting it all due to whatever. So I'm a little behind and missing some points.

I'm figuring most of it out but just one question- Re: Dini and Ella, what exactly did Dini do? I read the chapter where Ella comes to school the day the newspaper is given out and she gets called in my the teacher very angrily. Next I see is that Dini (and Ella too?) ran away and the teacher came to find her at her house. I'm missing a chunk in middle of those two happenings.

Someone above said she framed Ella. Does it stay what happened? How she did it? etc... what happened when the teacher called in Ella? Did they believe her? ...

thanks!!

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 3:24 pm
She wrote an inflammatory editorial under Ella's name.

Dev80

Post Mon, Nov 10 2014, 5:13 am
The editorial was about the schools tznius policies.

Dear Binah Editors:

Please allow more pages for False Fronts, there are too many subplots and too few pages! (EG's stories were always pages long!)

Bundy

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 3:15 am
Dev80 wrote:
I really do like this serial, wish it was a book so Icould just read it.

One thing that's been on my mind is in the beginning/middle Kobi's mother (cant remmeber her name, talya) said she knew why Mark looked familiar.... and then the next week it didn't address it it just was like she tried to avoid him, I thought that was weird if he gives her the creeps and she knows him from somewhere, so they should be avoiding him. I'm curious if I'm remembering this correctly

So I finally hopped onto Imamother to find out what folks are saying about my serial. Just to clear up your confusion here-Talya found Debbie familiar, not Mark. Mark on the other hand, as you so correctly said, gives her the creeps! Exploding anger

Read on and all will be revealed. Hee hee

Dev80

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 3:18 am
Bundy thanks for responding, but actually aside from the serials and maybe a few other articles I've been really unimpressed with binah the last few weeks and may start getting mishpacha Sad Sad.

There have been too many therapy/medical articles...I want more stories (fiction and especially non-fiction), I think Binah has changed in that regard but false fronts was the reason I was still buying....either way love the story so far you're great!

Bundy

Post Mon, Dec 08 2014, 10:27 am
Dev80 wrote:
Bundy thanks for responding, but actually aside from the serials and maybe a few other articles I've been really unimpressed with binah the last few weeks and may start getting mishpacha Sad Sad.

There have been too many therapy/medical articles...I want more stories (fiction and especially non-fiction), I think Binah has changed in that regard but false fronts was the reason I was still buying....either way love the story so far you're great!

Oh, sorry to hear that. I guess I'll just have to make False Fronts more exciting so you'll keep buying it! LOL

fmt4

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 11:30 am
At first I was convinced that Mark was a pedophile and was shocked that Binah would publish a serial about that. But then it occurred to me that he's a missionary... A much less likely situation in real life but more appropriate for the magazine. I wonder if the author realizes that she's making him sound like a pedophile though... It's really creepy.

debsey

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 11:39 am
fmt4 wrote:
At first I was convinced that Mark was a pedophile and was shocked that Binah would publish a serial about that. But then it occurred to me that he's a missionary... A much less likely situation in real life but more appropriate for the magazine. I wonder if the author realizes that she's making him sound like a pedophile though... It's really creepy.
I think it is a tznius way of exploring the exact same dynamic - charismatic man, wends his way into vulnerable kid's lives, accusations against him are unthinkable and likely to tear the community apart - and YET, one mom realizes SOMETHING is not right. Kudos to Batya Ruddel for thinking of a way to explore this in a way that won't violate Binah's editorial standards but still reminds moms - trust your instincts.

muzik

Post Tue, Feb 24 2015, 4:39 pm
Things are really getting exciting in "False Fronts," and last week it was especially creepy when Ella or Deena went down to the basement to look for the child who they were babysitting at the Sherman's, and came across some literature that shocked her. That was the cliffhanger we were left with. And it was very exciting. I can't wait to see what happens there!!! I hope the next week picks up from there... .....I love the cliffhangers and I love the story and all the subplots. My only "complaint" is that I need a little more "meat" and more moving forward of the plot in each week's installment. What I mean is the author delves into a few sub-plots each week but I feel as if (sometimes - not all the time), I'm not satiated....in that each individual sub-plot installment ---not that much happens....it's more like over 2 weeks stuff happens... but I would like more to happen each week. I did like the third sub-plot where they were babysitting. But still - in the 3 pages of each week, it would be better for.more to move forward...more dialogue. I hope I"m not sounding too critical - because I really really enjoy this story and I'm riveted. I almost don't want the story to end. I love all the characters and the story is very original.

happy mommy68

Post Sat, Feb 28 2015, 11:25 pm
Can someone please spoil it for me.? I'm in California and am an issue behind. What are the Sherman's? I just finished the issue on purim from feb 16th. I guessing missionaries like other people said. If you don't want to ruin it for everyone else please pm me.

Ty

rise above

Post Sun, Mar 01 2015, 2:14 pm
Hidden: 

yes, they are missionaries

I loved this past installment. Looking forward to tomorrows!

tweety99

Post Tue, Mar 10 2015, 8:21 am
I'm loving this serial!!!! Very Happy

muzik

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 12:39 pm
LOVE it more and more each week now. It's moving and getting really exciting...

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jun 01 2015, 4:13 pm
So False Fronts has finally finished.
Any thoughts on it and how it ended?

workaholicmama

Post Mon, Jun 01 2015, 7:00 pm
I thought Debby will convert...

myself

Post Tue, Jun 02 2015, 5:22 am
I absolutely loved the serial! Thanks Batya!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room