Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How did you make up your mind on color of Kitchen cabinets?
Previous  1  2

hesha

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 10:01 pm
go on houzz.com
they have tons and tons of pics of home renovations
look at pictures of kitchens, and see what you gravitate towards

sky

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 10:03 pm
debsey wrote:
I thought I wanted a light kitchen, maybe white, but when he showed me the actual cabinet in real life, (he had in stock the actual cabinet door of the one I liked on Houzz) I didn't like the way it showed fingerprints and dirt. In the showroom, it was dirty! Imagine what it would be like with a family full of kids touching it!

Then I noticed this picture on the wall - and the dimensions looked similar to my kitchen. I really liked it. The cabinets were gray - fairly dark, but the whole effect was really nice. I asked him to show it to me (the exact cabinet), and again, he had that door in stock. I told him "something like this but much lighter" So he pulled up the picture, and he lightened the shade until I liked it. It's a very lightly gray stained wood. Looks very natural, and the graining makes fingerprints not show nearly as much. It has stud detailing - I just love it. I like the look of the grain very much, which I thought I would not like.

I like that "natural wood" look but I don't like a white stain, because the wood looks pinkish to me. I had honestly never thought of a gray stain until I saw that picture, and then, once he was able to lighten the shade, I loved it.

The stained grey sounds gorgeous.

cbg

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 10:12 pm
"If you have the option of flat doors (not inset or shaker), those are much easier to keep clean as there are no crevices for dirt to get stuck on. It's a more modern look but lower maintenance. "

This is true, even with white cabinets. Flat doors are easy to clean and keep clean.

amother

Post Thu, Dec 25 2014, 10:43 pm
I went with white cabinets on top with glass inserts and very dark almost black on the bottom. I got my ideas from going to the architecture and design building looking at the showrooms there.

The cabinets don't show dirt because we went with large oversized handles.

They are gorgeous and open up the kitchen.
Hopefully, we will post on houzz when we finish.

thanks

Post Fri, Dec 26 2014, 2:28 am
I did my kitchen white, flat glossy. It's practical since it's easy to clean, and I like how it looks. The island and pantry are dark to accent the design.

studying_torah

Post Fri, Dec 26 2014, 7:28 am
Debsey- who did your kitchen? They sound great!

Tablepoetry

Post Fri, Dec 26 2014, 7:39 am
What colour is the floor? Is most of your interior dark and cozy/dramatic, or bright and airy? Is the kitchen flooded with light, or rather gloomy? Is it a small or large space? Will you be choosing counters that coordinate or provide contrast? Do you live in a cold climate (dark colours often more appropriate)?
Also, in the pics you showed there wad an island that broke up all the sea of dark. Are you planning on doing that?

amother

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 2:28 pm
Hi, I know this is an older thread but I need help!
I really want framed cabinets but they are just super expensive. I want white cabinets but I'm unsure to go with while glossy or white matte, I hear white matte looks cheap though. Either way I am nervous about the glossy though since I hear it shows fingerprints easily and with my kids... would be a headache.
I want the granite to be a white gray silver type look so white cabinets seem like my best option.

Anyone have any advice or anyone have a kitchen like this that can post pictures??
Thanks!

heidi

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 2:31 pm
I got white cabinets to match a backsplash I fell in love with.
Worst mistake ever!!! They look like the formica that they are, while wood colored formica looks much more real.
They are constantly dirty. Please rethink your decision. If you are going with real wood white or whitewashed will look more natural. But they will still get dirty.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 2:32 pm
amother wrote:
I really want framed cabinets but they are just super expensive. I want white cabinets but I'm unsure to go with while glossy or white matte, I hear white matte looks cheap though. Either way I am nervous about the glossy though since I hear it shows fingerprints easily and with my kids... would be a headache.
I want the granite to be a white gray silver type look so white cabinets seem like my best option.

Anyone have any advice or anyone have a kitchen like this that can post pictures??
Thanks!

I can't post pictures. I have white glossy cabinets. I had white matte in my last house. I love the glossy look and they don't show prints. Get handles.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 2:33 pm
amother wrote:
I can't post pictures. I have white glossy cabinets. I had white matte in my last house. I love the glossy look and they don't show prints. Get handles.

Would you mind sending me a pic to my email?

ilovesem

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 4:17 pm
amother wrote:

Thanks!

Happy to pm pics if you pm me. I've just redone mine it's amazing. White gloss with grey gloss. No problem with fingerprints really.
Very practical worktop too.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 5:02 pm
Go to houzz.com and look at the photos there. They have photos of everything you can imagine. That's how I've figured the colors I want for my kitchen stuff.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 6:50 am
Ours were red when we moving in.
My parents are wood, because they got it for free.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 12:45 pm
amother wrote:
I went with white cabinets on top with glass inserts and very dark almost black on the bottom. I got my ideas from going to the architecture and design building looking at the showrooms there.

The cabinets don't show dirt because we went with large oversized handles.

They are gorgeous and open up the kitchen.
Hopefully, we will post on houzz when we finish.

Can you please post a pic? It sounds gorgeous!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics