Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cleaning a VERY large chest freezer

amother

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 12:04 pm
we get a very large chest freezer second hand. We haven't cleaned it probably in a few years since we g ot it.. I can't even really reach the bottom without toppling over in to it so I think I would probably have to "climb in" we usually keep ice filled bottles on the bottom so that the stuff is easier to reach to give you an idea Smile is in serious need of being cleaned- how exactly do I go about doing it and how long do you think it will take?

Thank you!

ROFL

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 12:27 pm
Empty it out. Vacuum it out. Unplug and let it defrost . Put in a twelve year old to clean and wash it out. ( they actually can be older but at some point they outgrow the freezer and you have to find someone small to put in to clean it. )

yOungM0mmy

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 12:29 pm
I also have a chest freezer that I haven't fully cleaned (defrosted and wiped) in years. My problem is what to do with all the stuff that is in it while it defrosts? And my freezer has a little plug thing at the bottom, I assume to let the defrosted stuff run out, but it's on a carpet, so that won't work, so how will I get all the water out?

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 12:33 pm
yOungM0mmy wrote:
I also have a chest freezer that I haven't fully cleaned (defrosted and wiped) in years. My problem is what to do with all the stuff that is in it while it defrosts? And my freezer has a little plug thing at the bottom, I assume to let the defrosted stuff run out, but it's on a carpet, so that won't work, so how will I get all the water out?

I usually empty my freezer once a year. Anything in it goes into coolers. Depending on the elevation of your drain hole you can put a pan under it and let it drain. A chest freezer should not be getting iced. You may need to check the lid gaskets and replace them. Also if you have access to the mechanicals via the back of the freezer be sure to vacuum that area as well.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 12:34 pm
ROFL-LOL- we don't have any 12 yo's the oldest is almost 5

ROFL

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 12:35 pm
I put a small plastic drawer under the drain thing to catch the water I wash it every year at pesach.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry