Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
I will never be a morning person

amother

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 4:22 pm
When I was younger, everyone said that hating mornings is a young person thing and something you just grow out of eventually. NOPE. NEVER HAPPENED. I am in the latter half of my 20s, have a few littles, a job, etc and I still haven't outgrown the need to sleep till noon. Of course, sleeping till noon has not even remotely been an option in several years, but I never got used to the early mornings. I remain terribly cranky and not particularly alert or aware of my surroundings before about 10 AM. I doesn't help that absolutely loathe coffee. DH is not such a morning person either, but he's not nearly as bad as I am. I feel let down by everyone who said I would eventually grow into mornings. I haven't, and it really is terrible. I don't think there is really anything I can do about it, I am clearly hardwired to wake later. Anyone else like this? Can anyone commiserate?

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 4:49 pm
not only can I commiserate, I can share with you an article from the new yorker, proving that we night owls are just as productive and that people who tell us it's more 'moral" to be awake at 6 am are jerks.

http://www.newyorker.com/scien.....nings

amother

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 4:52 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
not only can I commiserate, I can share with you an article from the new yorker, proving that we night owls are just as productive and that people who tell us it's more 'moral" to be awake at 6 am are jerks.

http://www.newyorker.com/scien.....nings

Thanks, that made me smile a little. Unfortunately, my kids are too young to read Smile

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 4:55 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks, that made me smile a little. Unfortunately, my kids are too young to read Smile

then print out the article, you can use it as leverage one day!

gp2.0

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 4:57 pm
YES. I feel like I'm wired to sleep from midnight or 1 a.m. to noon, and concentrate on work or projects or people from noon to midnight.

The best part is, I've tried drinking tons of coffee and it doesn't make a difference. At all.

It's a struggle to wake at 6:50 every morning. I often sleep through the alarm, even with 7-8 hours of sleep. Sad

amother

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 4:59 pm
Forty, five kids, been raising them for fifteen years. Still not a morning person. I've gotten to the point where I'm functional, but ask me to care and be that bubbly mom saying goodbye to the kids... No. I'm still very productive at 1:00am, but it kills my next day.

Eta: Coffee makes me shake.

MMCH

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 5:02 pm
I feel the same way, but the opposite!!!
I used to hate hearing my mother say "my brain shuts off at 9 pm" it drove me nuts.
but I have become that!!

I was never the teenager that stayed up that late, but I never went to bed before 1230.
As I get older(upper 20s), I find it increasingly difficult to do anything that requires brain activity past 930 pm.

I hate it about myself, bc I wish I could do work at night. Grade papers (im a teacher) lesson plan, straightening up, cook, whatever it is! I just can't, my head starts to hurt and my brain is fuzzy.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 5:24 pm
Op I'm totally with you except coffee saves my life. I'm grumpy in the am Til I have that first cup. Can you try tea maybe? It has caffeine too.

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 5:42 pm
Same here. Life just gets harder for us night owls. For a while I did fine by having an afternoon part-time job and doing work-from-home work late at night. But then your kids get older and need to be in school on time regardless of when your day starts, and they don't always go to sleep in time for you to start your work-from-home in time for you to be asleep in time to wake up to get them to school. But even when I dropped some of my home work, it didn't help ONE BIT! First of all I still can't get to bed early, it's just not in my DNA. And even when I do get plenty of sleep, I STILL can't function in the mornings!

Coffee does not help me one bit, and I suspect it may actually make things worse.

A couple of times of life I thought I could break myself out of it by forcing myself to stick to a schedule for a long time - like 2-3 months - and I would be a changed person. It never stopped making me miserable and the second I stopped forcing myself it was right back to the way I was before.

I actually CHOSE to sit detention for lateness almost every week in high school rather than drive myself crazy trying unsuccessfully to fix the problem, and I consistently flunked whichever class was given first thing in the morning even when I was doing all right in the rest of my classes.

Sometimes I can launch myself out of bed, put on a cheerful show for the kids, and give myself the energy to get us all out the door... but then I promptly crash within an hour of waking. Which is just horrible in every way. So basically most of the time DH is in charge of mornings, which is not ideal either but like you said better than me doing this every day.

I don't think there's a cure but this condition is so real and not so compatible with the way society is structured!

amother

Post Sun, Mar 15 2015, 7:32 pm
I totally commiserate! The hardest part of my job is that I have to leave the house by 7:30am. I need a nap after work or I can't function. During the summer when Im off I sleep till 10:30 and don't get dressed till 2pm which is when my day begins. The hardesr part about having a baby for me is getting up in middle of the night. How do people function on so little sleep???

Ruchel

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 4:05 am
I'm a mess in the morning. I dread getting up early.
My dad and grandad (!) handled the mornings with me/my mom.
I don't do coffee, either. I do what I can, take it slow, avoid as much as I can, and go carefully to not have a low BP crisis. sigh

It's true that going up early = professional, executive in people's minds. And on contrary, those up late are sahp, unemployed, lazy student... I moved to a more popular area to be able to do what I want :p (joke)

chani8

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 5:59 am
I changed myself. I force myself to bed at 11pm, so I can be up as early as needed.

My family needs me in the morning, so I fought myself hard to overcome my desire to stay up late.

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 6:24 am
it's an inborn thing ... some wake up with the birds - others with the owls

with work/school mornings the owl has to still awake ... with teens/life the morning bird has to keep their eyes & ears alert even in their sleep

saw50st8

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 6:54 am
Life has forced me to wake up early (I get up at 430). The only reason this works is that I don't need to talk to people until about 7:30 am and even then I don't need to be jovial.

If one of my kids wakes up when I'm getting ready for work, they better be bleeding. On the weekends I'm just grumpy.

I have the bad luck of also NOT being a night person Tongue Out

chatouli

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 8:04 am
I'm definitely a night owl but having kids has made me useless at night too because I'm tired from getting up early. My brain works between 11 am and 5 pm. Pretty pathetic! I guess retirement will be my time to shine (hopefully I'll still have my wits about me).

Heyaaa

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 8:10 am
I used to feel the same way but then I started going to sleep much earlier and I feel so much better all day bec of it.

perquacky

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 10:32 am
Crystal Light with caffeine--or Target brand. I'm not a coffee drinker either. Love the smell--hate the taste.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 10:43 am
Op as you can see YOU ARE NOT ALONE. I don't function well in the morning either. I even tried googling morning depression to see if there's such a disorder! Not really.
And coffee does nothing for me.
We just gotta force ourselves and put on a good show. I do feel an early bedtime makes a difference but there's so much to do I never make it. I'm such a night owl.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics