Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Selling silver on 47th Street - question

self-actualization

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 12:45 pm
I had some old silver from when I got married 10 years ago. I didn't like it at all and I wanted to sell it just to clean my house before Pesach. I really didn't care about the price. Last year I sold some, and yesterday I sold some more. I went to 2 different dealers - one was in a booth and didn't advertise (last year) and yesterday the person did have someone on the street advertising (so it seems a little sketchier I guess).

Both times the silver buyer said to me - oh, I'm not going to re-sell this or melt it down, I'm just going to keep it because [I collect silver/I'll give it to my mother/I don't melt down Jewish things/blah blah blah]. I really think that both people were lying to me. Of course they will re-sell or melt it down - that's their business. And the stuff wasn't fabulous items - it was drips and drabs of old tiny tarnished cups etc.

Does anyone know what's the deal with these baloney lies - do they try to make people feel better about selling their stuff so they don't regret it emotionally later? I was surprised to get the same story 2 years in a row from 2 different dealers.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 3:15 pm
Deleted.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics