Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Brooklyn yeshivish boys schools that are not so into yiddish

amother

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 10:45 am
Does it even exist? Id rather they stress lashon kodesh/ Hebrew more. TIA

doctorima

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 4:58 pm
Mir doesn't teitch into Yiddish, only English and Hebrew. Somebody recently told me that Torah V'Daas also doesn't teitch into Yiddish, though I was surprised to hear that and don't know if it's accurate.

Queen18

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 8:15 pm
The school in Flatbush mostly don't do Yiddish anymore.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 9:41 pm
Yeshiva bnei torah is a yeshivish school that does not teitch into yiddish. They very much stress shorashim and understanding the meaning of the pasuk, plus they dont' do mindless chanting. Even if you are just teitching into english, just becasue you teitch every few words from lashon hakodesh into english doesn't mean you understand the concept of the whole pasuk. Teh boys really learn the pasuk and can apply the different shorashim they learned to a different pasuk and will be able to translate something they never learned before. Plus they learn trup very young and thats why they don't chant. If they review the pasuk the class sings with trup together which is the chant that chazal actually put together for the torah.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 10:25 pm
I know wat you mean op. My sons are in Chaim Berlin, and the yiddish taitching is driving me nuts. It wastes so much of my sons and my time- its just memorizing, I highly doubt that they will actually know yiddish because of it. Also, for example, now they are learning the ma nishtana in Yiddish, and my P1a son would for sure know it by heart by now, but the yiddish is confusing him. And the most annoying part is that he doesnt even understand what the ma nishtana means- all the stress is on memorizing the yiddish, and hes a smart kid... o well
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics