Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Healthy Side Dishes for Shabbos

suzyq

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 11:55 am
OK, now that the holidays are over, I really want to get back to eating healthy. Can anyone recommend some healthy side dishes that I can serve for Shabbos lunch? I'd like to stay away from kugels. I have very little experience making things like string beans or asparagus or veggie dishes like that, but would love recipes with clear instructions on how to make them.

Thanks so much!!

greeneyes

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 12:10 pm
I posted a few of my favorite vegetable recipes in this thread (check page 2 of the thread as well):

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....art=0

Tamiri

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 1:05 pm
Tabbouleh. There are recipes here. It's a good, healthy starch.

suzyq

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 1:44 pm
greeneyes - those look great - thank you!!!

tamiri - I will check out the tabouli recipes. thanks!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 2:38 pm
I have a lot of healthy recipes here.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Oct 04 2010, 4:47 pm
Non-mayo based salad. It can be israeli salad, or "diet" cabbage salad (shredded caabbage with lemon-juice based vinaigrette).

My favourite for the time being is grated carrot salad. Grate about 4-6 medium carrots. Squeeze juice from 1 lemon and 1 satsuma or tangerine (or 1/2 orange). Add 1/2 teasp salt,1tbsp olive oil, finely chopped rind from 1/2 orange, chopped parsley (optional). Mix into carrots and let marinate for at least 30min for the flavour to blend in.

Also grilled vegetables are healthy--can be served room temp. Red/yellow peppers, red onions, courgetes/aubergine

Lilibet

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 4:33 pm
Oven-roasted cauli-florets. I toss cauliflower with cumin, hor ground red pepper, and the tiniest dash of oil, spread on a baking sheet covered with heavy-duty aluminum foil and shove into the oven on eh shelf under whatever else I am baking until it starts to brown. then I take it out and turn up the edges of the aluminum fol to make a closed package. I put the package on the blech when I leave for shul on Shabbos morning. Just near the flame, not over it directly. It's so good. Also good cold. but warm is nic.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes