Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
London school info needed

amother

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 10:27 am
Any London Imamothers here?
We might be relocating to the Stamford Hill/ South Tottenham area and need a school for a daughters. They're in a Beis Yaakov elementary right now.
The only two schools that look suitable are Yesodey HaTorah and the new Beis Yaakov. Anyone have information on these schools?
Also, what is the UK equivalent of 1st grade, and 3rd grade? Very Happy

amother

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 10:33 am
Yesoday hatorah is probably the most mainstream but still pretty ultra chareidi. No tv, internet etc. I've not lived there for a while though. I went to lubavitch but had a few friends who went to yesodei hatorah.

not heard of a new beis yaakov school, or any.

children enter reception the september after their 4th birthday. So if they are 4 in august they can start school the next month, although some parents like to keep them back a year if they have a summer birthday.

reception - 4 turning 5
Year 1 - 5-6
year 2 - 6- 7
year 3 - 7-8
and etc

amother

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 11:09 am
Op
Thanks, I just couldn't seem to work out the grade to year equivalents.
The Beis Yaakov is only about 2 or 3 years old, which is why you might not of heard about it.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 4:12 pm
I'm British born and bred. I went to Yesodey Hatorah but that's been some time since I graduated. I live now overseas. Definitely for What I heard from my family back there the new Bais Yakov is more frummer than Yesodey Hatorah, a little like Bais Chinuch. In Yesodey Hatorah you'll get a mix of chassidish, litvish, sefardy.... all mixed backgrounds. The school is great! The education is on a high level and it's a very we'll established school. Open since......well... my parents kids of war survivors went to Yesodey Hatorah. You can't go wrong with it.
Good Luck on your choice and move.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 4:34 pm
OP I don't know where you are from however I know that it is often very difficult for newcomers to be accepted at YHS. Beis Yaakov is pretty new and is hoping to match up with YHS. Beis Yaakov was opened out of necessity as YHS have tightened their acceptance rules so lots of children were left without a school. AFAIK parents are very happy, and the school is at a high educational level.

A friend of mine's daughter attends the school and she always tells me how happy she is that the teachers give individual attention and tailor to each child's individual needs.

I think you'll be happy with either school.

Good luck with your move!

amother

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 6:18 pm
OP here.
Thank you for the helpful replies.
I though that YHT, now they're govt aided, was required to take all applicants? And I'd heard that the school was under subscribed, so they had to take you to keep funding.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 6:26 pm
amother wrote:
OP here.
Thank you for the helpful replies.
I though that YHT, now they're govt aided, was required to take all applicants? And I'd heard that the school was under subscribed, so they had to take you to keep funding.

maybe they are under-subscribed now a new school has opened up? Whatever you do, good luck. Just curious have you visited stamford hill? My impression each time I go back is that it gets more and more rw and the more chilled people are moving to NW. So make sure you fit into that type of box. (most of the young lubavitch families now live in NW even though it means their kids have to commute to school.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating