Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Safety harness for 20 month old..which brand? Yay or Nay!

amother

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 10:10 am
My 20 month old is nicknamed Houdini. DC runs and disappears in 3 seconds, hates the carriage, and prefers to walk or run. I am scared I will C"V lose this baby.

For my sanity, I was thinking of getting a harness, to give this child room to explore, but at the same time, DC cant run away.

Is this a terrible thing to do?

Im ready to get a harness....but what brands are good, tried and true?

abaker

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 10:13 am
I generally don't like these things. But in this case I would consider it...so you can let him explore but keep him safe. They have cute backpack type animals that have a leash attached. No recommendations of brands, but just want to say I understand why you want to try one!

amother

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 10:16 am
It is most definitely not a terrible thing to do, I thought it was too until I had a kid like yours! Just prepare yourself for stares and nasty comments from people whose kids were always angels.

I don't remember what brand mine was, it was a backpack-style harness with a soft brown monkey on the back and a long tail to hold onto. It was really cute, and my DC loved to play with it, but she didn't like to wear it much... it's not a magic solution and DC may not be very happy to wear it, but you'll save yourself a lot of heart failure moments. I got it at Target and it came in different animals.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 10:24 am
For sure get one! The smartest thing ever!

bnm

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 10:27 am
Skiphop

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 10:29 am
I also had one. You're going to get nasty looks and maybe even comments, but these people have never lost a kid on chol hamoed Pesach at the Bronx Zoo like I have. You have to do what you have to do to keep your kid safe. I also had one of these animal ones. It was a koala with a long tail and it was a backpack. Don't get one that attaches to the hand as it can injure your child.

suzyq

Post Tue, Mar 17 2015, 10:36 am
We just recently got one for our 20-month old. We got this one -
http://www.amazon.com/Carters-.....rness

He actually LOVES it and asks to wear it (because he likes the monkey, not the leash part). It's been fantastic - my son is a runner and really doesn't care if we are out of sight and I was getting too nervous to take him anywhere. I haven't gotten any negative comments from people (though maybe people judge me without saying anything) but I have gotten positive comments from other parents who understand. Honestly, it's just a total safety issue, almost like a car seat and I'm thrilled with it and just don't care what anyone else thinks.

cbsp

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 8:21 am
The backpack harness was a lifesaver for us. Got it in Wal-Mart for around $10 and they've got assorted animals. My DS got a blue/green owl and my DD got a monkey with pink accents. My sister gave me grief about it until DD once disappeared from her house (we were there for a seudah) and we finally found her across the street playing in someone's back yard. In the rain. Suddenly she understood that not every child has built in "rubber bands" that keep them next to their mommies...

busydev

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 6:51 pm
totally get a backpack harness. we got one with a little monkey on it and DS loved it. this summer I will prob use it on DS2 when we go anywhere. They love to walk but dont love to hold hands and in crowd this is a great way to hold them while they still feel independent. go for it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics