Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Airline broke my stroller, now what?

amother

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 7:12 pm
Anon, b/c I'm discussing this IRL. Not sure what to do. I just traveled via United with my infant and I brought just my infant seat and the frame of my Britax b-ready. I was travelling by myself, and I gate checked my stroller when boarding. When I deplaned at my destination, they brought me my stroller in pieces--a wheel had been popped off (but was able to pop back in), and the handle was completely broken off and the buttons were gone. I haven't exactly been gently with this stroller, I've had it for 2.5 years and it can handle (no pun intended) about 100lbs (2x35lb kids+15lb stroller+groceries) being pulled up & down steps, it has fallen out of my car, it has been clunked around and the handle never showed any signs of weakening. I cannot figure out how they managed to break it the way they did, and the airline crew at my destination said that "that's how we found it on the plane."What, did an elephant sit on the handle? I was able to manage to reattach it in a way using my stroller caddy so that it was usable on my trip--but not really a long term solution, and part of submitting a claim with the airline was relinquishing the stroller upon my arrival back home which we did.

Now upon arrival they told me that United "doesn't cover strollers"--on the phone while I was initiating the claim the person was a little more sympathetic--b/c this does not reflect "normal wear and tear" on the stroller, and I feel that this stroller was mishandled.

Pesach is in 2 weeks, we are going away, and where we're going having a a good quality double stroller will come in handy as it is a trek to get to shul. However, my middle child is 2.5, meaning he often walks, but can benefit from a stroller. This is why I loved my B-ready stroller for its versatility. However to replace the frame+wheels (as we forgot to take the wheels when we gave in the stroller, but I wanted new wheels anyway) will cost us $311 (new stroller would cost us $360-$399). We've had offers for simpler strollers or at least a universal carrier (which not so certain they work with the b-safe carseat we have) or even a double stroller to borrow for pesach, but question is what do we do moving forward? Do we wait to see if/what the airline will do as compensation--which likely means nothing? Do we replace the broken parts (as we already have the main seat and 2nd seat)? Do we buy a different stroller since we just need a stroller that can accommodate an infant as we have an umbrella stroller for my toddler?

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 7:17 pm
I have nothing helpful to say, except that's why I never bring a nice stroller on a plane, I have a really junky one that my mother got from someone who was getting rid of it just for this purpose. I brought a nice one once and it was chewed up.

greenfire

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 7:27 pm
did you take pictures for proof of damage ... I cannot imagine they would get away with not replacing a broken item or compensating in some way

I would call a higher up man on the totem pole and tell them it is impossible to live without a stroller and they must process the claim before the holidays - asap

rising hero

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 7:28 pm
I once had a brand new stroller that broke on the airplane; the wheel came off. The airline did not claim responsibility for that. Possible it was United as well. So don't bet being reimbursed.
It could be that from all wear and tear this was the final straw that broke your stroller. The way you describe it, I would say you got pretty good use out of it. So say gam zu letovah. Time for a new stroller. Maybe it's worth to invest in travelers insurance next time.

rising hero

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 7:43 pm
From their website:
Quote:
United is not liable for the destruction, loss or damage of any baggage caused by its inherent defect or poor quality as well as the following conditions that result from normal wear and tear:

Minor cuts, scratches, scuffs, dents, dirt and stains
Damage to wheels, feet or extending handles
Damage to fragile or perishable items
Damage because of over-packed baggage
Loss of external locks, pull straps, security straps or zipper tabs
Reporting damaged baggage

Quote:
Infant and child articles

Customers may carry the following infant and child articles on board, in addition to the maximum carry-on baggage allowance:

Diaper bag
Government-approved child seat (infant carrying seat or car seat)
Strollers and car seats as checked baggage

United accepts one stroller or one car seat as checked baggage free of charge for each child traveling on the flight. United is not liable for damage to strollers. Customers cannot purchase excess valuation for strollers.
Note: United will check strollers at the departure gate.

momspower

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 8:04 pm
I usually buy insurance for a minumal amount before I fly

amother

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 8:26 pm
We flew with a stroller and it broke. The airline compensated us fully. I don't remember which airline it was.

There are 2 things you can do: 1. Try to find someone at the airline who will agree to file a claim or 2. If you bought the stroller with a credit card they usually have some sort of protection program of their own - as long as it's within a certain time frame.

It never hurts to try.

Sherri

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 9:17 pm
Didn't you know, United breaks guitars...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....ctive

Sorry about that! Sad

Sherri

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 9:18 pm
momspower wrote:
I usually buy insurance for a minumal amount before I fly
Is that through the travel agent?

studying_torah

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 11:14 pm
When my stroller broke both the airline and the airports tried to blame each other, since I didn't see the damage immediately. I tried to file a claim and got no where.
Years ago I had a sandwich maker and some gifts in my suitcase that got broken, filled out paperwork again nothing.
Sorry for your frustration esp so close to
Yom tov!!

amother

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 11:28 pm
OP here, I think we may have struck "gold" in this case. I bought my ticket through the United credit card, and it supposedly covers damaged baggage and carry-ons, so I have to call about it. I'm more annoyed at the fact that they seem to get away with this too often--and without hearing a good explaination for the condition of my stroller it just seems reckless and irresponsible.

Hadassah231

Post Mon, Apr 06 2015, 4:45 pm
I'm sorry your stroller was broken. It's such a pain, especially if it's at the beginning of your holiday and you're away from home sans one.

I think without travel insurance you may not have any success in getting reimbursed. I've had two nice Maclaren prams damaged by different airlines and the most I got was a "Terribly sorry, but we are not responsible". Fortunately they were not my best one (I used to keep one for travel and a larger, more sturdy one at home, but both still good quality) but I was still annoyed. Travel insurance replaced the second.

Incidentally, on one of the same flights, which was to the States, I had a very well packed ceramic Kiddush cup broken by the TSA, who apparently were out to protect America from dangerous pottery. Airline again said, too bad, so sad.

In the end, both incidents were lessons to me on the importance of travelling with property coverage and not just medical.

OTOH, there's no harm in trying to get reimbursed, though you may waste more time than its worth, and end up even more annoyed.

CPenzias

Post Wed, Apr 08 2015, 8:58 am
I hope you get somewhere. I agree. Oz really not right. Airlines are nasty
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics