Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Need cold meal ideas for anniversary while on vacation

amother

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 8:48 pm
DH and I ade going away for one night to celebrate our anniversary. Its pretty much a midfle of no where t o wn. We are staying at a non kosher bed and breakfast, but obviously not eating the foiod.

I wanted to bring the george foreman and make a nice steak dinner, but it doesnt seem like a good idea at this place.

Ideas 4 a nice dinner that I can make before and bring? Eaten cold...

doctorima

Post Wed, Mar 18 2015, 9:01 pm
You can pre-cook shnitzel or meatloaf and warm it up on a hot plate. You can bring double-wrapped meals from Meal Mart or Pomegranate and warm them up in a microwave (even if not kosher). Or you could bring deli sandwiches or bagels, and salad.

amother

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 12:13 am
Thanks, but there's no microwave there and I don't live in ny.
I could do sandwhiches or wraps but im looking for special...

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 12:47 am
rare roast beef sandwiches with yummy baguettes and mustard or horseradish sauce and a big salad, poached salmon with a dill sauce and roasted sweet potato halves,

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 1:32 am
tichellady wrote:
rare roast beef sandwiches with yummy baguettes and mustard or horseradish sauce and a big salad, poached salmon with a dill sauce and roasted sweet potato halves,

And buy a wicker basket or bin to put the food into, use nice glass containers, add a bottle of wine and 2 champagne glasses... Smile

ez-pass

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 7:34 am
Is it an option to bring a disposable charcoal grill and go to a park to make a bbq?

amother

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 8:18 am
Tichellady and ra mom, love your ideas. Thank you!

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 10:49 am
bring vacuum packed pastrami and/or corned beef [you can open as needed because they'll stay fresh longer], a jar of garlic dill pickles, nice rye with seeds or club bread [depending on your preference] - on the side have some cole slaw or potatoe salad - of course you will also need some cream/root beer sodas & good beer [which I imagine you can buy as needed at nearby gas station]

make sure to keep a really good cooler and fix/change the ice 2x a day ...

you can bring yogurts and hard cheeses - hard boiled eggs could last a few days ... cans of tuna or those packs with easy open [again you can use as needed but they won't spoil unless they're open]

bring almonds, raisins, and other nuts of your choice [good for a quick protein fix] and/or granola bars

make sure to bring something chocolatey for dessert [this always helps the mood along with some moscato]

ectomorph

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 11:36 am
Hot smoked trout from walmart. When my husband and I were hiking, we found this and it was our go to for every Shabbos meal away from a frum community. You would not believe how delicious it is.

elisheva25

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 11:53 am
Dairy Caesar salad?

amother

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 1:34 pm
Also, the room has a fire place. Anything interesting we can make besides smores? Im allergic to graham crakers 😉

Thanks!

greenfire

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 2:54 pm
go for melting chocolate [bring aluminum pan for this & wooden skewers] ... fun things to dip in like strawberries, roasted marshmallows,

or pour some booze over your favorite dessert and watch it light afire - eat hot & yummy Drunken Smile

amother

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 5:10 pm
Greenfire, love your ideas! Thanks!

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 19 2015, 5:17 pm
I hate to be a debby downer but just letting you know that it's very hard to melt chocolate over a fire for fondue. It really doesn't work too well unless you do it in intervals In a microwave or over a double boiler.
Feel free to try it but it probably won't work
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics