Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Natanyahu still believes in a Palestinian state. Did he lie?

blueberries

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 10:59 am
Netanyahu spoke before the election that there would be no Palestinian state while he's in office. Did he lie to the Israeli public to get elected?

On Fox News hes trying to clarify what he meant to US viewers. Watch video.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/412.....42001

morah

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 11:18 am
If you read his original statement, he said there cannot be a Palestinian state given the current situation. It is highly unlikely that conditions will change all that much over the next 2-3 years (which is the amount of time it will likely be before the next election). I don't think there are very many people who are against a Palestinian state ever. It is just that some of us have very strict criteria for what the Palestinians need to do in order to be entrusted with a state of their own. And it's not going to happen in the next decade. Bibi didn't lie. If he had reason to trust Jews wouldn't die or lose their homes in the event of a Palestinian state, he'd let it happen. Since those conditions will not be met any time soon, he is right that it won't happen on his watch.

blueberries

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 11:27 am
Didn't Natanyahu make that statement in order to get more votes?

Quote:
Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, in a final bid to shore up right-wing support ahead of a knife-edge vote on Tuesday, said he would not permit a Palestinian state to be created under his watch if he is re-elected.

Trailing his centre-left opponent Isaac Herzog in opinion polls, the three-term leader has sought to shift the focus away from socioeconomic issues and on to security challenges, saying he alone can defend Israel.

Having previously hinted that he would accept a Palestinian state, Netanyahu reversed course on Monday, citing risks that he linked to the regional spread of Islamist militancy. He said that if he is re-elected, the Palestinians would not get the independent state they seek in the occupied West Bank, East Jerusalem and Gaza.

"Whoever moves to establish a Palestinian state or intends to withdraw from territory is simply yielding territory for radical Islamic terrorist attacks against Israel," he told the Israeli news site NRG.

Asked if that meant a state would not be established if he remained prime minister, he said: "Indeed."

sequoia

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 1:47 pm
No one sane believes in it. He just has to lie to the world.

Barbara

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 2:00 pm
sequoia wrote:
No one sane believes in it. He just has to lie to the world.

Well, I'm apparently insane, but maybe you can set me straight. What's your solution? Annex the territories and make them Israeli citizens? Annex and deny citizenship (and other rights)? Drive them out? Please share what sane people like you would do.

Although I am reminded of the old joke. What happens when two people who think they're Napoleon meet? They both come to the correct conclusion -- the other guy is insane.

sequoia

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 2:55 pm
I think Eugene Kontorovich gives a good explanation here: http://youtu.be/CylGZGAg4Fg

Barbara

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 2:59 pm
sequoia wrote:
I think Eugene Kontorovich gives a good explanation here: http://youtu.be/CylGZGAg4Fg

With all due respect, I'm too insane to watch a 30 minute video. Tell me why I am insane to believe that the only way that there will ever be peace in Israel is a 2-state solution.

sequoia

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 3:08 pm
Barbara wrote:
With all due respect, I'm too insane to watch a 30 minute video. Tell me why I am insane to believe that the only way that there will ever be peace in Israel is a 2-state solution.

I can never say it as well as he does. Believe me, I don't like videos either, but I can't find a transcript.

Barbara

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 3:15 pm
sequoia wrote:
I can never say it as well as he does. Believe me, I don't like videos either, but I can't find a transcript.

You have told me that I am insane -- really not a very civil comment -- yet you refuse to explain why? No one is going to take a half an hour out of their busy schedules for this. You're articulate. Explain it.

sequoia

Post Fri, Mar 20 2015, 4:14 pm
Of course I don't think you're insane. I posted on this thread about Bibi, not about any poster. Look at the order. Come on.

I suggested that Bibi, as a realistic person, does not "believe" in the two-state solution under current circumstances, and that he is forced to pretend otherwise to the world. Thus on election day he wasn't lying to his audience, but telling the truth.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics