Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Where to move on Long Island (NOT 5T)

amother

Post Sat, Mar 21 2015, 8:30 pm
Can someone tell me what communities are on Long Island other than the Five Towns? Ideally where there are some open-minded RW young families and reasonable housing prices. Thanks.

pesek zman

Post Sat, Mar 21 2015, 8:51 pm
I've heard good things about Oceanside, and west Hempstead

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 8:01 am
West Hempstead is great! Big mix of jews, no one cares what you do, lots of young families (and old families too) chilled out community, big backyards, reasonable prices (for ny).. 300-600k range (mostly around 400k) we just moved and we like it so far, still trying to make friends but ppl are generally nice.
Annon bc identifying details

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 8:53 am
Op here. I always heard WH and Oceanside are very modern. Has that changed in the last few years? What are the areas I'd look into? Thanks.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 9:04 am
Wh has both, there are a bunch of "more rw" families as well as modern. The nice thing is that people seem open minded regardless.
anyways not sure what you mean by modern, but there is a shul with a black hat minyan (in someone's house on colony st) and the rabanim of the community are very chashuv. (rabbi kelemer of young israel for ex) Dont know any other communities outside of the five towns that are more frum, sorry cant help you there. Good luck!

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 9:05 am
How RW are you talking about? RW MO, shtark YU, yeshivish, chassidish?

What type of schools would you pick for your children?

And, as much as I hate to ask, how do you and DH dress?

If you give us a better idea of who you are, we can better advise you as to where you'd fit in.

Edited to correct autocorrect.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 9:07 am
amother wrote:
Op here. I always heard WH and Oceanside are very modern. Has that changed in the last few years? What are the areas I'd look into? Thanks.

Oceanside is very modern, West Hempstead has a mix, which usually means "more openminded."

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 9:19 am
Op here. By RW, I mean like some degree of gender separation (like in school) but not totally, we don't have cable but let our kids watch certain approved programming, I wear tights and calf length, cover all hair, but also wear denim, colors, and wear mostly tichels and berets but sheitel on Shabbos and other special occasions. DH does not wear a hat,but is somewhat black hattish even though he doesn't wear one. We are both educated professionals. We believe in strong secular education but consider limudei Kodesh to be more important. We are also laid back, not so into following the crowd. We will likely send to 5 Towns schools but don't want to live there.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 9:28 am
Check out North Woodmere, specifically Rabbi Witkin's shul. It's called KBH, which I think stands for Khal Bnei Hayishovos or something like that.

Also check out Rabbi Ginsburg's shul in Cedarhurst or the Agudah on Peninsula or even the Red Shul (I think).

For a growing community with less expensive housing, check out Inwood. I don't know specific shuls there.

Oh, also Bayswater.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 9:32 am
We are already in the 5 Towns and really really don't like it here. DH is not interested in FR/Bayswater. We need to stay nearby but specifically looking to leave the 5 Towns.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 10:03 am
Is Queens a possibility?

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 10:10 am
No. Queens is too expensive and I don't like the schools there.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 10:12 am
Long Beach might work.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 10:16 am
amother wrote:
No. Queens is too expensive and I don't like the schools there.

(Not OP)

Queens is more expensive than WH? Wow! All frum neighborhoods of Queens are more expensive than WH?

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 10:28 am
amother wrote:
(Not OP)

Queens is more expensive than WH? Wow! All frum neighborhoods of Queens are more expensive than WH?

In general, Queens (well, all of NYC, brooklyn included) is more expensive but with much lower property taxes; long island is more affordable but taxes are higher. Just something to consider.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 10:30 am
amother wrote:
(Not OP)

I don't know about WH specifically, but we are starting to think about buying and have looked at 5T vs KGH (we're currently in KGH) and found that while prices are pretty much the same, what you get in the 5T is much more than in Queens. So while long Island is not technically any cheaper, your money does go further there, even accounting for property taxes.

nylon

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 10:41 am
amother wrote:
In general, Queens (well, all of NYC, brooklyn included) is more expensive but with much lower property taxes; long island is more affordable but taxes are higher. Just something to consider.

But then also you pay city income taxes, so depending on one's house and income, the difference may be more or less. WH taxes are, as Nassau County goes, not horrendous.

gumby

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 11:33 am
Btw when factoring in the difference in price between queens and five towns please realize the cost of living in five towns is much higher. From groceries , to cleaners everything costs more.
I vote for west Hempstead , long beach-although not a large growing community at all , look into plain view also.

granolamom

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 4:10 pm
amother wrote:
Op here. By RW, I mean like some degree of gender separation (like in school) but not totally, we don't have cable but let our kids watch certain approved programming, I wear tights and calf length, cover all hair, but also wear denim, colors, and wear mostly tichels and berets but sheitel on Shabbos and other special occasions. DH does not wear a hat,but is somewhat black hattish even though he doesn't wear one. We are both educated professionals. We believe in strong secular education but consider limudei Kodesh to be more important. We are also laid back, not so into following the crowd. We will likely send to 5 Towns schools but don't want to live there.

you sound exactly like my friends in WH and Oceanside. And woodmere and lawrence. and north woodmere.

thing is, if you want a 'black hat' community, where the majority of ppl look the same, you wont find it in the five towns or surrounding areas. for better or for worse, the communities here tend to be more mixed, and yes, open minded.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 4:55 pm
I second R Witkin- North Woodmere.
I think West Hempstead is going to be too modern for you. (And Oceanside and Plainview, certainly so.) Yes there are some RW, open minded families in WH, but they are quite a minority and socially, they are integrated in the rest of the community.
As far as 5T schools, RW people from WH to my knowledge send to South Shore, Shulamis, and Bais Yaakov of Queens. Where do your kids go to school?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating