Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Spin off - Hot plates
Previous  1  2  3  4

water_bear88

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 7:34 am
mfb wrote:
To those in israel are there smoke detectors for sale there? I just spoke to someone there and she didn't even know what that was!
Please let me know in what type of store she can find one
Thanks

It's called a גלאי עשן, and some but not all hardware stores carry them.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 7:35 am
ra_mom wrote:
It looks like this
https://www.google.com/search?.....3B280
I Know what they are Wink I grew up in America. I've just never seen them in this country.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 7:47 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I Know what they are Wink I grew up in America. I've just never seen them in this country.
Oh!

kitov

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 8:18 am
I usean electric griddle set on 200 degree, so it doesnt work continuously. I also use a timer so it goes off after the cholent. as long as we eat a warm lunch, there isnt really a perfect solution for a heating element overnight.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 9:02 am
you can have an electrical short in the wall ... you can have an electrical short in the wires to the appliance ... the newfangled shabbos lamp saves a lot of people because people used to put towels over regular lamps with the bulbs causing fires to start ... then there's the old fashioned blech which can easily - with the simple movement or weight of a pot - extinguish the burner without any notice whatsoever & can cause a gas explosion not to mention carbon monoxide poisoning

there has to be a lot more thinking & safety planning and not just take things for granted

hashem is obviously in control & with all the hishtadlus one never knows what the outcome will be ... מי יחיה ומי ימות

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 12:44 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Years ago when we lived in an old apartment we ran an extension cord to an old outlet with no circuit breaker and it powered the a/c. One Shabbos morning I woke up and smelled electric. I searched all over the bedroom until I moved away a chair that was partially covering the outlet. The a/c was on. The plastic around the outlet was melted and the exposed wires were sparking. Dh yanked out the plug and bh everything was ok. We got lucky.

Another time I left a night light on in my kids room while visiting cousins. After I went to bed a cousin accidentally pushed a thick blanket right up to the night light. Overnight the plastic cover over the night light melted. Again we just got lucky.

Sad Sad Sad

Right now we have two working smoke detectors, upstairs and downstairs. I think I'll add one or two more.

This is a perfect example of why you should know the amperage of your plugin appliances and the circuits. When an appliance draws more than the amperage that is delivered by an outlet overheating will occur. It's particularly dangerous in older homes where breaker boxes have not been up dated to current standards. GFI's will turn the circuit off, but knowledge is power. Even with a GFI and old aluminum circuit switches fires can occur even if the GFI is tripped.

maapse

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 1:05 pm
In the UK, all plugs have an "earth" pin, ie every plug has three pins that get plugged in. One of them is "earth"
Do plugs in America have an "earth", because I know that Europe and Israel don't. This is a safety feature that causes the fuse to blow in case of emergencies, so if something is overheated, instead of causing a fire, the earth part of the plug would just blow the fuse.

Just trying to understand if this is how it works in America because I want to know what happened to that hot plate that caused the fire.

maapse

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 1:11 pm
just continuing from above... one Shabbos the wire of our hotplate got stuck between the hotplate and the wall causing the cover of the wire to start melting. I was horrified when I saw the wire had started to melt but my husband told me that the worst thing that would have happened is that the wire would have continued melting and then the fuse in the house would have blown because of the "earth" part of the plug.

What happened with this hot plate? does anyone know? this is not a question to be nosy but to understand fire safety and how to keep hotplates etc on over shabbos in the safest way possible.

eg, I remember hearing that the laptop fire in Israel that was mentioned here was caused by the laptop overheating because it was on a bed and the air vents were covered and got overheated. Until then I used to leave my laptop on on my blanket all the time. From then I am much more careful. We need to learn how to keep safe.

water_bear88

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 1:13 pm
maapse wrote:
In the UK, all plugs have an "earth" pin, ie every plug has three pins that get plugged in. One of them is "earth"
Do plugs in America have an "earth", because I know that Europe and Israel don't. This is a safety feature that causes the fuse to blow in case of emergencies, so if something is overheated, instead of causing a fire, the earth part of the plug would just blow the fuse.

Just trying to understand if this is how it works in America because I want to know what happened to that hot plate that caused the fire.

Electrical plugs in the UK are among the safest in the world, from my understanding, and not just because of the earth pin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEfP1OKKz_Q

Some US appliances have an earth pin, but not nearly all.

gp2.0

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 1:16 pm
maapse wrote:

As I understand it, appliances that are very low voltage, like a pop-up toaster, generally only have two pins that plug in. But appliances that use more electricity, like a toaster oven or hot plate, have three pins that plug in.

The malfunction may have been in the actual wiring of the hot plate itself. For example I had a blender that smelled like burning electric when it crushed ice.

maapse

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 1:18 pm
thanks for the answers. In the UK there are only 3 pin plugs, even for low voltage appliances. As far as I know this is the only country that only uses 3 pin plugs but I am happy to be corrected.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 2:25 pm
maapse wrote:

I am in the uk and one shabbos my plata malfunctioned and burnt my counter, event though it was sitting on a stone tile placed on the counter. It was already towards the end of shabbos when it happened I think though. Not sure if it could have caused a bigger fire.

but yes, our fuses blow pretty often if they get overwhelmed. They hate my treadmill.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 2:35 pm
maapse wrote:
thanks for the answers. In the UK there are only 3 pin plugs, even for low voltage appliances. As far as I know this is the only country that only uses 3 pin plugs but I am happy to be corrected.

Grounded plugs are an option on new construction here in the the US. Most homes have one or two grounded outlets in a room, for high draw plug ins such as vacuums, hair dryers etc. It's a safe guess that if you have a grounded plug in a US home it is on a 20amp circuit.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 8:50 pm
amother wrote:
I am in the uk and one shabbos my plata malfunctioned and burnt my counter, event though it was sitting on a stone tile placed on the counter. It was already towards the end of shabbos when it happened I think though. Not sure if it could have caused a bigger fire.

of course it could have caused a bigger fire ... burning things often do

amother wrote:
but yes, our fuses blow pretty often if they get overwhelmed. They hate my treadmill.

you can get a dedicated electrical line for the treadmill ... I put one in for the air conditioner because things would blow [I have no idea how expensive it is because I installed it myself]

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 11:10 pm
I live in the US, but am from the UK originally.

Not only do UK plugs have an "earth", but they also have a fuse which will blow if there is a problem with the appliance etc. You can always replace the fuse - the plug opens up and you can put a new plug on an electrical item - e.g. if there is a problem with the end of the cable you can cut off the problematic part if it's at the end and reattach the plug. My Dad taught me how to wire a plug when I was 5 years old :-)

In the US, even if you have a 3 pin plug, there is no fuse and no possibility of fixing things yourself. BTW - you can always have an electrician convert a 2 pin outlet to a 3 pin one. We've done this in our house since laptops have 3 pins and we move them around the house a lot. Yes, there is the possibility of using a 3 pin to 2 pin converter, but you lose the safety feature.

In the UK the electrical systems are 240V but in the US they are 120V. I was taught from a very young age NEVER to touch an outlet with wet hands. So in the UK you have to be much more careful with electricity and these safeguards are essential.

One of my Dad's pet peeves (he's an engineer) is that there are so many different electrical systems throughout the world and it was never standardized/standardised (I've switched to US spelling after 19 years :-))

saw50st8

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 7:26 am
seeker wrote:
This is why I haven't replaced my gas stove even though it doesn't work so well anymore. They don't make em like they used to. 2 day yomtov - no problem! Can turn on any burner or oven any time from the pilot light. Can turn it off when done. Have CO+smoke detector nearby but risk with this kind of range is very very low.

Shabbos of course needs a different story (for us, just a crockpot, anything that needs heating goes on top of the cholent)

We had one of those! It worked out great...until we replaced the windows in our house. Over Shavuot, my whole family was over and 13 of us ended up in the hospital for CO treatment. This was 3 days before I gave birth, my sister had a 3 month old baby and we had 5 other kids there plus 7 adults. B"H no one was injured (we all went in for oxygen), but it could have been catastrophic. There was an internal orifice plate that malfunctioned (probably years and years ago) but wasn't noticeable until we replaced the windows that sealed in the carbon monoxide.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note