Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
HELP!!! My 16 year old's hair is thining.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 12:56 pm
I noticed a few months ago that I was able to see my sons scalp. I got a little nervous because I hadn't noticed it earlier. Erev shabbos, he went for a haircut, & when he came home, I almost flipped. His hair is soooo thin. He doesn't have any bald spots, & does not have a receding hair line. It just seems thinner under his yarmulka. Did any one ever experience any thing like this ??!!
I'm so concerned!!
He's normally healthy, not a very stressed out kid. Eats & sleeps well....

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 1:45 pm
Take him to a dermatologist.

Have his Ferritin Serum levels checked, if they are low it can cause hair not to grow (I have this problem).

Give him Biotin supplements

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 5:04 pm
Tnx for responding. He started growing facial hair, & it's amazing how much hair he has growing on his face, & other body parts, so I'm wondering, how strange is that? If his serum level is low as you mentioned, would it effect all hair on body? Did you have any good experience with a specific dermatologist?

amother

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 8:25 pm
You can also check iron levels and thyroid function.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 8:33 pm
A dermatologist can also check for a fungal infection. If the kippa is trapping moisture, it can cause an infection on the scalp. He may need a different fabric kippa, and a special shampoo to clear it up.

I have a friend who was losing hair under her sheitel/snoods, and I suggested she get checked for candida and fungal infections. Sure enough, that was the problem and now her hair is nice and thick - in fact she has to go to a hair dresser to have it thinned out so that her sheitel will lay nicely!

queen76

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 11:43 pm
Wouldn't a fungal infection be visible from the outside?

amother

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 3:04 am
amother wrote:
Tnx for responding. He started growing facial hair, & it's amazing how much hair he has growing on his face, & other body parts, so I'm wondering, how strange is that? If his serum level is low as you mentioned, would it effect all hair on body? Did you have any good experience with a specific dermatologist?

Actually. the two might be linked. The facial and body hair are a sign that he is in the stage of puberty when the production of male hormones ramps up significantly. Sometimes, for an unfortunate few, this also means the beginning of hair loss.
Do check out thyroid, ferritin and a possible fungal infection though. I would also check vitamin D levels. New research is linking Vit. D deficiency to hair loss too.
I emphathize- I see this with my own DS too and I find it extremely upsetting.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 10:08 am
A friend of mine has a young son who began losing a lot of hair. Turns out that the family had been infected with shigella and this son did not get his second treatment and it began causing hair loss....

pearl26

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 5:24 pm
I agree with the suggestions of other posters about potential medical concerns that should be checked, but please also be aware that it is not unheard of for a teenager to begin losing his hair. Some men are nearly bald by 20.

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 6:01 pm
have a few yarmulkes to change ... wearing the same smelly one over & over can possibly cause issues ... also use some vitamin e / jojoba / vitamin c oils after shampoo and massage into scalp
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics