Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
First time buying a sheitel - I have a few questions

brose3

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 11:25 am
Hello everyone!

I got married a few months ago & up until recently I was wearing hats. I don't cover my hair everyday yet, I'm still learning, but I do for Shul & special events. I bought a Brazillian Sheitel, 2 actually, and although I love them they are extremely itchy.

1. What are some ways to get rid of the itchiness & bump? I've read a lot of posts about braiding, flipping hair into clips etc, so I apologize if this is repetitive.
2. I may be the only one that feels this way but when I am wearing it, I feel like I am CONSTANTLY playing with it - during megillah reading I couldn't stop moving it around, itching shock (!!!!) & because of my thin, straight hair, the volume was overwhelming. Any tips to get used to it?
3. Washing & styling - where I live there are no sheitel machars that I know of. I bought mine in Chicago & I don't live there plus finances are budgeted right now. Any tips on how to wash it? I'm worried of the hair falling out when I brush it.

Again, sorry if this is repetitive!

studying_torah

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 12:09 pm
The itchiness might be because of the cap; maybe try a hair stockinet thingie underneath ( sorry not sure what it's called). That also might make your hair look smoother underneath.
As far as volume, perhaps you need a different cut or a trim, maybe some layers, or cut your own hair shorter underneath- it's hard wearing two layers of hair!
As far as washing - I'm not sure how to do Brazilian hair, perhaps someone else can help with that.
Good luck!

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 1:23 pm
It shouldn't itch if you are wearing a wig cap underneath it.

Have it thoroughly cleaned, I would say; that may soften it.

If you PM me I will send you a few links to similar-looking synthetics. They may be lighter in weight.

Kitten

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 1:53 pm
brose3 wrote:
1. What are some ways to get rid of the itchiness & bump? I've read a lot of posts about braiding, flipping hair into clips etc, so I apologize if this is repetitive.
2. I may be the only one that feels this way but when I am wearing it, I feel like I am CONSTANTLY playing with it - during megillah reading I couldn't stop moving it around, itching shock (!!!!) & because of my thin, straight hair, the volume was overwhelming. Any tips to get used to it?
3. Washing & styling - where I live there are no sheitel machars that I know of. I bought mine in Chicago & I don't live there plus finances are budgeted right now. Any tips on how to wash it? I'm worried of the hair falling out when I brush it.

Again, sorry if this is repetitive!

1. Are you sure the itchiness is caused by the sheitel? Some people have sensitive scalps that easily get itchy, sheitel or no sheitel. Wearing a stocking wig cap may help prevent itchiness. As for the bump, the only efficient way to get rid of it is to trim your hair. You cannot make your hair disappear just like that.
2. If you want less volume, get a cheaper sheitel, a synthetic one for example.
3. For human hair sheitels, brush and unknot the hair before washing it. Gently swish the sheitel in a bucket of lukewarm water with regular shampoo, rinse, put conditioner (not on the roots), rinse and let dry. I've never used a blow-dryer. You can style it with a regular curling iron. Make sure to put hairspray after so that the style holds. That's what I do and it works for me. There are other ways.

Shuly

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 2:18 pm
Try wearing a wig grip underneath. I found that more comfortable than a wig cap.
You can order one from Milano or most sheitel machers sell them and would probably mail it to you.

Kitten

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 2:22 pm
Shuly wrote:
Try wearing a wig grip underneath. I found that more comfortable than a wig cap.
You can order one from Milano or most sheitel machers sell them and would probably mail it to you.

I've never tried a wig grip but I imagine you would need to wash your sheitel more often than with a wig cap, so it might wear out sooner.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 3:42 pm
There are ways of keeping your long hair, but yes it's easier with cropped hair. But you can divide your hair in half and wind it flat around, going in opposite directions. Maybe keep any bump below the crown, where your head conveniently dips in a bit, at the back.

Shuly

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 6:04 pm
Kitten wrote:
I've never tried a wig grip but I imagine you would need to wash your sheitel more often than with a wig cap, so it might wear out sooner.

Why?

Kitten

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 6:11 pm
Shuly wrote:
Why?

Because a wig cap adds a layer between your head and the sheitel. So if, for example, you sweat, the wig cap will get dirty before the sheitel does.
When you wear a cardigan, you will wash what you wear under before you need to wash the cardigan itself, provided nothing spills on it, etc. It's the same concept.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels