Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Whats the next step... home options

Bitachon101

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 12:44 am
What do ppl do when they are outgrowing their apartment but can't afford buying a house?
Renting a house can often be more than monthly mortgage payments would cost and way above budget.
Basically u gotta stay cramped up unless u can afford a house or daddy can afford one for ya?
What are the options?

Would love to leave my "underground" and have a place where my every room is not the kids playroom since they don't have a playroom....

mirror

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 12:54 am
This is where you and your dh look at your jobs and job skills and see what community you can afford to move to and still keep your jobs, or look for new ones by networking with people you know in other communities.

Also, within the same community, moving to the "outskirts" as opposed to staying in the "center" can mean a bigger apartment for less $$$.

Also, is it possible to move to another apartment for the same rent that has a backyard where your kids can play?

asp40

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 9:03 am
You move somewhere less expensive. When we outgrew our apartment, we could not afford a larger one in the area we were in. SO we moved to the suburbs, where we could afford a small house, backyard and driveway.

nyer1

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 11:18 am
another option is to buy an apartment - condo, co-op or town home. this way, a smaller downpayment is necessary but at least your monthly payments are going somewhere and you eventually have some return on it.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 1:54 pm
Devoirie said it well. I'm not sure how "married" you are to where you live- would you consider moving to a cheaper community? What type of job do you have- is it commutable from other places, can you work from home, thereby taking your job with you. Moving to the outskirts really makes a biiiig difference. I know someone who has a beautiful house on the outskirts of the community. She's close to a number of shuls but not in the center of things. She said that was how she could afford to buy a house she likes.

STovah

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 2:13 pm
Just want to point out that not every house has enough space for a designated play area/room.

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 23 2015, 2:20 pm
you buy bunk beds, trundle beds, loft beds, pull out sofa beds ... or you move out-of-town

Bitachon101

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 1:23 am
So basically we were told we would never get a mortgage in our situation (dh not a steady income, just saleswork/my job also not most steady... But enough to pay our rent as is)
Dh very picky about everything possible to be picky about and has to be comfortable with the neighborhood.
He wants out of the city we are in.
Looking into some out of town places or different neighborhoods on outskirts of where we are but don't know where to find that affordable renting situation in a decent not falling apart house.
A few places dh was comfy with didn't seem to have options besides a cramped apt or outrageous house rentals.

He goes nuts from the kids making messes but they need space to play and its either the kitchen or the dining room....
Or their tiny bedroom or our bedroom!
My bed keeps becoming a toy box somehow! We won't discuss how many times I stub my toe on their things too.
I need a place with a room dedicated for their play time.
And a place where we aren't living underground or in a building with roaches....

Did I mention dh is a private psn and a building is like a horror movie for him.

So um yeah.... We are going nuts in this setting.
Thankful everyone healthy and well just like to keep the sanity too.

imaima

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 2:00 am
Your dh seems to have a difficult taste. Is he planning to find better earning possibilities to match it?

MamaBear

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 11:23 am
If you have a bunch of kids and neither of you has steady work at a higher pay level, then that should be your focus, not your living situation. The problem isn't the real estate market, it's your careers and income. Life will only get more expensive as they get older so I wouldn't go pushing your budget.

nyer1

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 12:12 pm
you might not right now quality for a mortgage on a house, but most people can qualify for a mortgage on an apt, cuz an apt costs less.

if that's not an option, you can take some steps to organize your home to declutter

perhaps custom closets would eliminate some clutter and u would feel like you had more space?

Bitachon101

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 6:15 pm
Dh has a lot more than difficult taste....
I'll keep him anyway.
And I try to keep things as workable as I can with his intolerances....
But when he feels cramped its not fun for all of us. And I like to have as happy an atmosphere in the home as I can.
As far as jobs, it ain't simple in this world.
I'm thankful he has what he has but its not stable. Some months he can make a fair amount and other months are dry.
He has spent a lot of time in the job search market. He really would like to move on to something more sustainable. The question is what when and where but keeping eyes open.
I guess for me moving is not just a "I want to move" but I want a place where my kids can be kids without setting off their dad cuz their stuff is setting off his nerves.

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 7:06 pm
Yeah we can't afford a house down payment. We are 40 and Are over $100,000 in debt. We rent a nice size house in Cleveland. Rent payments vary because of water and sewer but even with water and sewer we never pay more than 1400 a month. I love it here. Mortgage would be even less .....less than 1000 but then wed have to come up with down payment and repair costs.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 7:36 pm
NACA

FHA

Tri-state area: Aguda Yisrael interest free down payment loans

First time home buyer assistance

Land trusts

Contract for deed
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics