Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Newborn stroller-full recline or is almost flat good enough?

yummy2smiles

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 3:34 pm
Looking to buy a stroller that I can use with newborn without HAVING to use the car seat (in case studies about extended car seat use and bad backs are true). My other main criteria is that the seat be reversible to face parent. I narrowed my options down to-

1. Baby Jogger City Versa- $229, 26 lb., lies almost flat
2. Mamas and Papas Armadillo Flip- $499, 20lb., lies completely flat

My question for experienced mothers- is it worth it to spend double on the M&P flip that I can just put the newborn directly into (and is also 6lb lighter) or should I spend half on the Versa and either buy the optional bassinet for $129 or just try to use it with a newborn in almost lie flat position with a newborn insert or something? Baby Jogger recommends only using Versa after 6m- is that necessary or can I make it for a newborn somehow?

I'm willing to spend the extra $ on the better choice. What would you do in my position?

Gneshe

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 4:35 pm
I'm in love with my City Versa, but it is not for newborns without the bassinet. In my opinion, it pays to buy the bassinet.

mandr

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 4:57 pm
My carriage (Stokke Scoot) was not fully reclinable (just mostly reclined) and it was totally fine for us. My baby was in the car-seat attachment only if he was sleeping in the car and then we had to transfer him - why would I wake him up for that? But otherwise we used the Stokke "softbag" which is like a contained bunting thingie tat made it cozier and more suited for an infant. We used it all this winter too even though my baby was bigger because it provides excellent warmth and protection from the cold. I wouldn't spend money to get something flatter. IMHO, many bassinet carriages look like caskets mounted on wheels.

yummy2smiles

Post Sun, Mar 22 2015, 5:40 pm
Gneshe wrote:
I'm in love with my City Versa, but it is not for newborns without the bassinet. In my opinion, it pays to buy the bassinet.

Can you explain why? Do you feel newborn is unsafe without bassinet? You think a bassinet is worth it even for few months use? The difference between flat and almost flat seems so minimal so I'm just not understanding why a newborn is safe in one but not the other.

wiki

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 1:32 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Versa seat recline is a V-recline (as in, both the horizontal and vertical sections of the seat rotate together as one), which is not advised for a newborn.

If you'd get a bassinet for the Versa anyway, and if $$ is not a major factor, then 6 pounds lighter is a major factor to consider. The Versa is a great stroller, but it definitely is heavy.

If you live in a house, I'd get the Versa and bassinet. If you live in an apartment/somewhere with stairs on Shabbos, I'd get the Armadillo flip.

yummy2smiles

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 10:31 pm
OP here, went into store yesterday to try both out and was told that Versa was discontinued due to popularity. Called Baby Jogger and they confirmed this- said will still cover warranty and replacement parts as necessary but they ceased production of all Versa products. Which is surprising since I heard only great things about the Versa. I was considering buying it anyway since due to being discontinued the prices of the Versa dropped like crazy- the stroller is $189 which is amazing price considering it's a reversible baby jogger and the bassinet with car adapter is $120- so that would be an awesome steal but at the same time I'm obviously hesitant to buy a discontinued stroller that won't have replacement parts/accessories available in the near future if I need them...

Does anyone have good experience with any other stroller that it reversible (parent & front facing) and suitable for newborn and not too clunky?

wiki

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 9:15 pm
UppaBaby Cruz is more expensive, but is a very good stroller.

Miri7

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 9:50 pm
I have the uppa baby Cruz and my baby lived it since she was tiny. We used it with and without the bassinet attachment since her first week. We got the infant insert for the seat. It was like a cozy bucket for her.

I'd you get the Cruz I would recommend trying to find the bassinet from a friend or secondhand. You don't use it for so long so it was easy for me to find one to borrow.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics