Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
5 1/2 year old with a stiff neck!

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 9:22 pm
My 5 1/2 year old started complaining on friday that he has pain in his neck. looked like a typical stiff neck to me, over shabbos it got worse and he was mamash crying in pain all the time, and couldnt turn his neck. I took him to urgent center on Motsei shabbos and they said he must have made a bad turn, / wrong move. it is now 4 days later and hes still complaining, he cant turn his neck and wants to put his head down at any given moment. When he's home he prefers laying on the couch so he doensnt have to support his head. I'm SOOOO nervous by now. Has anyone had experience with this? what can it be, and if it is a muscle, how long does it take for it to go away?

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 9:27 pm
Take him to your pediatrician or to an ER as soon as possible and have him tested for meningitis.

yaeli83

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 9:32 pm
http://m.kidshealth.org/parent......html

manhattanmom

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 9:35 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
Take him to your pediatrician or to an ER as soon as possible and have him tested for meningitis.

You would know if it was meningitis if he screams in pain and cannot bend his neck forward--ask him to LOOK at his belly button.

But yes, please get this checked out.

yaeli83

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 9:36 pm
Does he have fever? Vomiting? Can he touch his chin to his neck? If he can not, I would probably head to the ER to be safe.

Did he recently sleep with a different pillow? In a diffetent place?

Id be surprised if they let you go before ruling out meningitis.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 10:22 pm
op here, when I asked dr about meningitis he wasn't concerned cuz he doesn't have fever. he said as long as there is no fever, no need to worry about meningitis.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 7:40 am
I get a stiff neck sometimes - what helps is motrin every 6 hours. It relaxes the muscles.

I'm not a pediatrician (or any doctor!) so discuss that with yours. It's what my GP told me to do.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 7:55 am
My Dc recently complained on his throat/neck. He didn't move is neck and kept his head tilted to one side. My regular pediatrician wasn't in as it was over the weekend and the dr on call saw my child and said it must be a muscle. It wasn't getting better so I took him to pediatrician and he took throat culture it was strept. He also told me to give Motrin. Within few days he started moving his neck and head. Take him again to dr and good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics