Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Plan my vacation (please)

chulentalakiddush

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 4:41 pm
I'm looking to travel with dh in early June for a few days. Looking for a fun city with good weather, things to do and kosher food. We will not be there over shabbos and don't need a minyan. What do you suggest? Leaving from New York and would be willing to fly. TIA!

elisheva25

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 4:55 pm
Philadelphia...very good restaurant options. Nice city. Close to nyc

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 5:21 pm
Scottsdale/Phoenix Arizona. At least five kosher eating places and tons of fun things to do.

doctorima

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 5:42 pm
San Diego is great, though kosher options are suboptimal. You can combine it with LA, which has a restaurant scene on par with NYC. You could also find a place in the Caribbean with a Chabad that sells meals to go; many of the islands have non-stop flights from JFK that are even shorter than Phoenix or LA.

tichellady

Post Wed, Mar 11 2015, 6:00 pm
You could go to the west coast or go to Montreal- it feels a bit more foreign

chulentalakiddush

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 11:39 am
Thanks! We've been to Philly and I agree it's a really nice city with excellent kosher falafel.
I'm going to look into San Diego and la. AZ will be too hot then. Thanks again!

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 11:48 am
doctorima wrote:
San Diego is great, though kosher options are suboptimal. You can combine it with LA, which has a restaurant scene on par with NYC. You could also find a place in the Caribbean with a Chabad that sells meals to go; many of the islands have non-stop flights from JFK that are even shorter than Phoenix or LA.

Sorry, but the restaurant scene in LA is nowhere near that of NYC. It's decent, but not NYC comparable.

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 12 2015, 11:54 am
I actually think LA has much better restaurants than New York and I have lived in both cities. New York has great very expensive steakhouses, but if you want a nice dinner without spending a lot of money, there aren't many good options. La has many affordable kosher restaurants and a lot of ethnic variety ( Thai, Mexican, Tunisian, Israeli, etc)

Lilibet

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 12:31 pm
Is this restricted to domestic? Because a direct flight to western Europe doesn't take much longer than California, and with the cheap dollar, vacations in the Euro zone are a bargain.

Cities with great kosher restaurants and direct flights form the U.S. include Paris, London and Munich. But also consider cities like Madrid with only one restaurant, but it's a pretty good restaurant, and you can buy excellend fresh bread and cheese for a day-trip to Toledo.

Lilibet

Post Mon, Mar 16 2015, 12:46 pm
Chicago. Endless stuff to do and see. True, the only restaurant downtown is a sandwich shop. But you could stay a 12 minute metro ride from the Loop near Milt's BBQ for the Perplexed (great name, great food) Or stay in the kosher-restaurant-dense neighborhoods a 30 minute commuter ride from the Loop, and take the train in.

Washington D.C. is also a good choice. Stay in downtown Silver Spring near the Metro, eat lunch at Char Bar or the Pizza place in the JCC just blocks from the White House. And in the evening drive to one of the Rockville or Silver Spring restaurants.

And consider Montreal and Toronto - the US$$$ is strong against Canadian currency, so Canada is a travel bargain.

chulentalakiddush

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 2:11 pm
Europe would be amazing but flights are pricey. Dh wants warm weather and beach over culture so now I'm looking into Miami. We have been a bunch of times, but never end up doing much. I'd love to hear your suggestions on where to stay and what to do. I like the beach too but I want to do other things too.

spring13

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 2:13 pm
Seattle. Lots of fun!

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Apr 02 2015, 12:56 pm
All the above suggestions are great, I've been to many. My husband likes the beach, but will, a bit reluctantly, settle for a pool. I like to sightsee. Another fun option, is Las Vegas, if you like that sort of thing. There's lots more to do & see besides swimming and gambling, and a decent variety of kosher options.

chulentalakiddush

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 6:22 pm
thanks again for all your help! we've decided to fly into Miami and drive down to the Keys. Key West has a serviceable kosher eatery but first we will be spend two days on Islamorada (a different Key, halfway between Miami and Key West) and not sure what to do about food. Any suggestions? what to buy in Miami and bring with us? the room will have a fridge. We're just bringing carry on luggage so I dont think I can bring much from home. TIA!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics