Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Plus-size ladies: Where do you find FLATTERING clothes?

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 12:32 am
I need some summery everyday tops and everything I am seeing online I just know will make me look fat. I mean, I guess that's true of anything, because I AM fat, but still.

The styles that look good on me are:
-longer (like to the hip at least...I'm 5'3" for the record)
-wider/roomier at the top and then cinched at the bottom
-short sleeves/sleeveless are ok, I'll wear with a shell
-no button-down shirts! they look horrible

Any ideas?

hila

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 2:31 am
what country do you live in ?

Barbara

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 4:11 am
Some ideas:

Lane Bryant
Avenue -- a lot of frumpy stuff, but some great things can be found
Kiyonna
Igigi
Eloquii
Chicos -- for shirts, I'd bet they have what you like
Kohls, Target, Old Navy
Eileen Fisher, if you want to go higher end

tiredmommy

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 8:22 am
Dress barn

November

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 9:40 am
Where would you look for plus sized clothing in Israel?

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 10:04 am
Ulla Popken which is on line. In dont know about cinched on the bottom but the length is great as I like longer tops. The quality of their cotton is much better than Lane Bryant and others and just a little bit more expensive. I have also bought some of their dressier items which are more stylish than some other places. Lane Bryant, IMO is a little too junior for my taste.

Also if you want to spend more, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, Newman Marcus and Saks have plus size. I know they have some stuff on line.

There is a line called Harari which has some beautiful silk stuff. I used to get tunics and kimono style jackets to wear with a skirt.

There is a line called Tianello which makes separates in a lovely material. Very flattering. I have seen it on line. It's not cheap but I would buy one one two tops.. They wash well, are very comfortable and you can dress up or down so versatile. I used to buy in a store and you could actually custom order colors and prints in the style you wanted.

ETA. I don't know about Israel but I have had friends ship stuff to me in the USA and then in ship to them in Europe.

torquoise

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 10:08 am
tiredmommy wrote:
Dress barn

Same here.
Possibly because there's a Dress Barn that's 5 min away from me, and I don't have time to look anywhere else

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 10:10 am
Barbara wrote:
Some ideas:

Lane Bryant
Avenue -- a lot of frumpy stuff, but some great things can be found
Kiyonna
Igigi
Eloquii
Chicos -- for shirts, I'd bet they have what you like
Kohls, Target, Old Navy
Eileen Fisher, if you want to go higher end

Thank you Barbara!! I always forget to check LB, I guess because they weren't on my radar in my pre-plus-size days Confused Found lots of stuff there, and some at Eloquii too! Still need to check out the others...

Kitten

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 2:51 pm
Dress Barn. I have plus size friends who are big fans of Dress Barn and they always look amazing.

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 24 2015, 3:08 pm
another vote for lane bryant
talbots clearance
macy's clearance
marshall's / tj maxx
coldwater creek

hila

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 2:20 am
In ISRAEL - in Jerusalem - Tali Tal on Yafo - near King George - my favourite. They also have a branch in Mevasseret
You can try Matim Li - but everything is very low necks
And Onot - in Malcha and some other places.
You might be lucky in Golbarry.

There is a cheaper place up Strauss - just past Bazar Strauss on teh right - I think it is Ofnat Michal.

Or any of the online suggestions if you have visitors.

Up North I have no idea

etky

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 6:13 am
Just adding Aristoshmat to Hila's list, in case you're in Israel.
They usually have lots of tunic style and longer tops and they cater primarily, if not exclusively, to larger sizes. Crazy Line also stocks large sizes and even Lord Kitch's larger sizes might fit you because their sizes run huge.

hila

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 6:15 am
I never even tried Aristosmat. It always looks very trendy ...

The others - are OK too.

Lilibet

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 6:32 am
Eileen Fisher. The price is high, but not as outrageous as it seems because many of the "basics", in particular the skirts, and knitted tops and jackets, wear like iron. But the main reasons to buy Fisher is that you'll look totally polished, like an art gallery owner or dean of a prestige college. It never goes out of style. This year's pieces work perfectly with Fisher pieces you bought 5 years ago. AND it totally flatters women who have carried several children, overeat a little, and don't work out regularly.

Also try Comfy USA. Upscale looking but , totally contemporary, drapes well, very flattering. Works for simchas but at a lower price than most boutique-type upscale, contemporary fashion brands with a similar look. And machine washable.

In New York, Madison at 90th, there's an upscale boutique that sells clothes from Israeli makers and designers. Very Upper East Side, but, if you're going upscale, why not buy form an Israeli designer.

Another useful catalog is Gump's. Upscale version of Coldwater Creek, Ulla Popken, or Talbot's, but with clothes that are more flattering and better made.

etky

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 6:36 am
hila wrote:
I never even tried Aristosmat. It always looks very trendy ...

The others - are OK too.

You know, they recently redid their stores and they do look much trendier now. I haven't really gone shopping in a long time so I don't know what the current season (or even the last one) is like. In the past I've gotten a few very nice tunic/long tops there and even a great pair of Capri pants. I also love their undershirts that I wear as a shell under another layer. They're a drop lower cut than the other stores' versions which works well for me with my build. I hope they stlll have them...

Lilibet

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 6:37 am
Amarante wrote:
There is a line called Tianello which makes separates in a lovely material. Very flattering. I have seen it on line. It's not cheap but I would buy one one two tops.. They wash well, are very comfortable and you can dress up or down so versatile. I used to buy in a store and you could actually custom order colors and prints in the style you wanted.

Thanks for the tip. Those tops do look flattering.

grace413

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 8:46 am
Just checked out Tianello and while their regular prices are way out of my price range, they do have nice items on sale at reasonable prices.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 9:05 am
Roamans.com

happy to be me

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 3:14 pm
allrgymama once posted this list of sites.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....+size

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 4:05 pm
Anyone know how Tianello compares size wise to say Dressbarn?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics