Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Kids out of school before Pesach

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 12:29 pm
How long before Pesach are your hs girls, mesivta boys, jh girls, elementary kids off from school? Do they help you out? If so, in what ways? Do you make Pesach? Go away for it? Do you have cleaning help? It really bothers me that my kids think that schools let out early for the kids to shop , and in all homes mothers and cleaning help clean? For chinch purposes, even though we go away and don't have to clean, what values should I be instilling in my kids? Thank you.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 3:22 am
Teach them, so they don't end up posting helpless threads when married...

salt

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 3:37 am
They could offer their help, either voluntarily or for pay, at other people's houses - cleaning, babysitting, cooking, car-washing, kashering - whatever they're best at.
That way they're not out shopping all day, rather they are helping others, earning money (for their shopping!), and learning how to prepare for pesach, even though you don't actually need it.

Sanguine

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 3:39 am
In Israel all schools start vacation on Sunday (a full week off). But has nothing to do with chinuch for the kids to help (really, how much do 4 year olds help?). There's a very strong teacher's union here and the teachers demand a week off so that they can prepare their own houses for Pesach.

My kids help (don't know why yours don't). I start early with lists and jobs. If you're organized this week can be fun with kaytanot, Tiyulim, Two days Bnei Akiva. and the kids helping too. If your kids are young, it's time for you to start Pesach jobs. My kids are older but now are used to helping. At this point I just start with last year's list making adjustments.

Don't blame your kids for not helping if you're not teaching them how

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 4:05 am
Quote:
In Israel all schools start vacation on Sunday (a full week off). But has nothing to do with chinuch for the kids to help (really, how much do 4 year olds help?). There's a very strong teacher's union here and the teachers demand a week off so that they can prepare their own houses for Pesach.

My kids help (don't know why yours don't). I start early with lists and jobs. If you're organized this week can be fun with kaytanot, Tiyulim, Two days Bnei Akiva. and the kids helping too. If your kids are young, it's time for you to start Pesach jobs. My kids are older but now are used to helping. At this point I just start with last year's list making adjustments.

Don't blame your kids for not helping if you're not teaching them how

She said she goes away for Pesach, she doesn't need their help. She just wants them to be doing something of value.

Sanguine

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 5:15 am
amother wrote:
She said she goes away for Pesach, she doesn't need their help. She just wants them to be doing something of value.

well, is this what they're friends do too?
Quote:
It really bothers me that my kids think that schools let out early for the kids to shop , and in all homes mothers and cleaning help clean
salt had good suggestions but not if their friends aren't home helping this week either. How about preparing stuff for the seder. If the kids are elementary school age let them prepare games for the seder so it's not all just "boring" divrei torah. Mostly questions and riddles but the kids make it fun. We've done words on people's forehead and they have to ask questions and guess what they are. One year my young son made a "time machine" (just a box he decorated) and we had to guess who each person came out as. Cleaning isn't the point of Pesach. We do it cause we have to and the kids help cause that's what's fair in a family. If OP never has to clean, why should her kids have to? There are always people they can help or work for, but that's not the point of Pesach. Do they help or work during the year?

imaima

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 5:26 am
amother wrote:
How long before Pesach are your hs girls, mesivta boys, jh girls, elementary kids off from school? Do they help you out? If so, in what ways? Do you make Pesach? Go away for it? Do you have cleaning help? It really bothers me that my kids think that schools let out early for the kids to shop , and in all homes mothers and cleaning help clean? For chinch purposes, even though we go away and don't have to clean, what values should I be instilling in my kids? Thank you.

You can dress it up as a spring clean and have them clean anyway. This way they can train to be in cleaning mode pessach time, even when they are grown ups and noone is paying for them to go away.

Many many friends of mine who go away are still cleaning and decluttering now.

momX4

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 5:40 am
amother wrote:

Find a neighbor with young kids and offer your kids services to either help clean or watch the kids. Your kids will gain alot and it may be a lifesavor for your neighbor. Just read some if the threads here from overwhelmed moms.

momX4

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 5:42 am
Oh and your boys can offer to pesach clean cars in your neighborhood for a nominal fee, so that they dont get taken advantage of.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 5:48 am
amother wrote:
My daughter, in kita aleph, gets out on sunday, like sanguine's children. She will be in safta/saba/auntie kaytana with two other cousins for the first three days and a yishuv kaytana for the last two days. This for parents who work.
We dont do major cleaning. We dont take food out of the kitchen dinning room so our weekly cleaner does that. I may have my daughter help me clean the fridge and car so that she will already understand what it is all about, but other than that, there is nothing else to do.

Growing up, we all helped. No matter the age and gender. We were not allowed to go out with our friends until we helped with the preparations for pesach, whatever it was that my parents needed.

Also, about kids going shoppin and the like, how do you know that they have not helped in their home? And on top of that, maybe the parents dont want help in the cleaning department. Every household is different. Or maybe they have cleaners to help with that. Dont assume and dont judge other families. You NEVER know what is what in another's home.

sky

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 6:27 am
- Help family or friends who don't have older children (my nieces offer to come over when they can to either watch kids or help clean\line)
- Make a day camp for young kids off of school (even if they charge I consider it a chesed because I need a place to send my kids and I'd rather send to girls I trust and the girls who make it make decent money - $18\day, 10 kids)
- Call Chai Lifeline (or a different organization) and ask if they know familys that can use help (they just sent some guys to vacum my friend's car)

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 6:29 am
My DD has been off since yesterday, and generally she's a big help...but unfortunately came down with a virus and has been sick in bed. Hopefully she'll be better soon. I have a few cabinets that are waiting for her (and me) and next week she will do blintzes (her specialty), desserts, soups, and kugels, together with her younger sister.

My next DD starts off tomorrow.

My girls certainly help. They are my Pesach committee. We clean together, and then we switch over and cook together. I don't have cleaning help right now, but we do spend a little to treat ourselves after a busy day (like slurpies, or Rita's, and next week we may do some takeout suppers.) This makes the Pesach prep season fun, and they actually look forward to (certain aspects of) it.

I like to take care of whatever shopping we have earlier, because the stores are nuts right now! DD had a day off a month ago, following midterms, and I took her shopping then. For my next DD, she wears some of her big sister's stuff, but I did take her one day for something new (took her out at lunch. Don't tell her school.) And for my little one I shop ahead - much cheaper that way - so she is set. And shoes - online. Nothing like delivery to your door.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics