Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Annoying smoke detectors

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 1:42 pm
With all this talk about having smoke detectors, I confess to pulling out batteries. They make a racket if someone takes too hot a shower. People here have anxiety. How do we deal with this conundrum?

gp2.0

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 1:43 pm
Buy smoke detectors with hush mode asap.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 1:53 pm
What's a hush mode? If it's the little button that you have to push off, well it's too high to climb every time somebody takes a shower.

momX4

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 1:53 pm
you placed them in the wrong spot. Move it a couple of feet. If its in the bathroom, put it outside near the door.

Fox

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 1:58 pm
I also found that this problem was minimized when I bought slightly newer and/or more expensive smoke detectors. The sensitivity in the newer models seems to me to be a little better calibrated.

Years ago, smoke detectors weren't so much a warning of fire, but an announcement that dinner was ready.

The newer models seem to be better. Or maybe I've just become a better cook?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 2:03 pm
Fox wrote:
Years ago, smoke detectors weren't so much a warning of fire, but an announcement that dinner was ready.

Mine went off yesterday while I was broiling hamburgers, and for once, I was not in the slightest annoyed. Sad

studying_torah

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 2:09 pm
Mine is on the hallway and is a brand new one. It goes off every time I open the oven door , even if the oven is perfectly clean. Sometimes it even goes off if the oven is closed, after using the oven for about 2 hrs ....
I used to have one that went off every time I did a lot of laundry ( I guess some humidity built up in the room bec the door was closed.)

gp2.0

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 2:10 pm
amother wrote:
What's a hush mode? If it's the little button that you have to push off, well it's too high to climb every time somebody takes a shower.

Keep a broom or mop nearby. Also, smoke detectors shouldn't be installed in bathrooms. Smoke detectors should be at least 10 feet away from showers.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 2:12 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Mine is on the hallway and is a brand new one. It goes off every time I open the oven door , even if the oven is perfectly clean. Sometimes it even goes off if the oven is closed, after using the oven for about 2 hrs ....
I used to have one that went off every time I did a lot of laundry ( I guess some humidity built up in the room bec the door was closed.)

Is it possible something is wrong with your oven?

LittleDucky

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 2:04 pm
There are actually very precise instuctions on where to install it. It depends on your alarm but if IRC it's like 10+ feet from the bathrooms, heater, kitchen etc. otherwise you will get nuisance alarms. It also shouldn't be in closed off areas (like near a pointed ceiling) but that's for inaccurate readings.

Keep the batteries in-even if you will replaced them after the shower. Because if the hush mode is too hard to reach you won't want to climb on a ladder to install batteries.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 2:19 pm
When you live in a space where the bedrooms, bathroom, and kitchen have but a small 3 foot hallway between, there is nowhere else to put it. The smoke detector goes off in the hallway. Both from cooking and the steam from the shower after the door is opened.

Fighting it off with a broom is anxiety provoking. It doesn't even help.

LittleDucky

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 2:41 pm
amother wrote:
When you live in a space where the bedrooms, bathroom, and kitchen have but a small 3 foot hallway between, there is nowhere else to put it. The smoke detector goes off in the hallway. Both from cooking and the steam from the shower after the door is opened.

Fighting it off with a broom is anxiety provoking. It doesn't even help.

Put them in the bedrooms. One in each. Hallway obviously doesn't work for you. Close the door while cooking/showering. Lived in a place like that once. What about the living room/front door area? How close to kitchen/bathroom (for in addition to bedrooms)?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics