Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kashering under mount sink

The Happy Wife

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 11:33 am
I normally don't use sink inserts on Pesach. We just clean and pour boiling water over it to kasher.
Now we have an under mount sink that's held on with glue. First of all, I think it would be hard to get the boiling water under the edge of the counter, and second, I'm afraid the boiling water might melt the glue that holds up the sink.
Anyone have experience with this?

lkwdlady

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 1:14 pm
I also heard that the heat will melt the glue so you are right not to kasher. I guess inserts are your option this yr.

The Happy Wife

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 1:25 pm
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 3:43 pm
Many people kasher undermount sinks with boiling water every Pesach, and this is the first time I've heard this question. I recommend you ask a granite fabricator directly (and let us know what he says!). Usually the sink is secured with both glue and fasteners. If it is a problem, would it be possible to put a bead of heat resistant clear silicone caulk over the glue before kashering?

Miri7

Post Wed, Mar 25 2015, 3:47 pm
We haven't had issues with the glue melting in the past. It's not like it's sitting in boiling water for a long time.

I put a narrow strip of contact paper over the seam b/c my DH thinks that it's necessary. I don't know how others hold, but I just put it there and don't think about it too much.

The Happy Wife

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 3:06 pm
Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure they used only glue for the mount. And I've also never heard of people having problems with this, but my husband was nervous about it, and made me a little nervous.
Caulking over it sounds like a good idea just to be safe. The granite fabricator I used was kid of difficult to get in touch with, so I'm not sure it's worth trying to call.
I also like the idea of putting clear contact paper over the seam. Thanks everyone!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen