Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
Any Serious Art Collectors Here?

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 3:03 pm
Any serious art collectors who enjoy pieces by Calder, Erte, Mishibinijima and more? I am trying to raise some money for my parents who have recently gone through a financial crisis and they posses authenticated, signed originals of many artists.
If you are not a collector, do you know of any private collectors? Especially for the Mishibinijima art. I know that it's not the typical thing to see on a frum site, but there are many different types of people on here so I figured it's worth a try and it's a huge mitzvah. I do not want to go through auctions or galleries because it results in a significant decrease in profit and I'm doing this to raise money for them and help them get a fresh financial start.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 4:57 pm
You might pay to have them appraised. Perhaps that is the thing to do right away. And photographed professionally.

You might see what percentages the auction houses charge.

If they are paid on percentage, it is in their interest to have you get the highest possible price, that increases their take.

You don't want the pieces to be come shopworn and too known, and there is their condition to consider, and also theft. You don't want a million people looking them over; they are delicate.

It seems to me that the auction houses earn their money. They will guide you about how to actually get paid instead of ripped off for the piece. That can happen. It's delicate, the exchange of property; the piece and the check. The auction houses have reputations to protect. They don't want anybody running around saying they got ripped off there.

You would need paper documenting where your parents got them. The IRS may want to know what they paid for them and therefore what profit is made. You might talk to an accountant.

A gallery might want them on consignment; that is just another kind of auction.

Your first move might be to google the artists and act as if you are trying to OBTAIN similar pieces; then you will see what they go for, retail, anyway. Wholesale is less of course.

Their insurance better cover them; and always think about insurance when you let them go anywhere.

Calder is a big name. You are playing in the big leagues. Be careful.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 6:03 pm
Dolly you always have great advice.
I've done some of that and will look into some of the others.
Thnx a trillion!

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 7:42 pm
If they are signed and numbered lithographs the market is established. Check places like Ebay for current selling prices. If they are originals find an experienced and credentialed appraiser for valuation. I have couple of low numbered Calder lithos, that came to me from a MIL. Professional reframing of them exceeds their market value, I donated them to a fund raising auction since they are not my style and don't fit into my space. I've made it a practice over my lifetime to buy low and sell high when it comes to art and artifacts. My preference is first edition books.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics