Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Name I like vs. naming for relative

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 5:34 pm
There's a name I like and a name of a relative. DH feels strongly that we should give the full name of the relative. It's a good name but I really like a different name that wouldn't be naming for anyone. DH would consider the name I like as a middle name, but it doesn't work well with the first name of the relative. Plus, I would want to call the baby by this name, while DH would want to call the baby by the name of the relative. Neither of us are especially fond of the relative's middle name, but it flows well with the first name.

I should also mention a few things:

1. There are others who are named for this relative already.
2. Ideally I would like our baby's name to be rooted in both sides of our family, not just a relative on one side.
3. The name I like is a great name, but I do also feel strongly about naming after family. So I would put this name on the back burner, perhaps for a future child (IYH) if we agreed on another name.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

singleagain

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 5:46 pm
if there are other's who are named for this relative already, I think that unless, it's something like dh promised to name after the relative, it's ok not to... or maybe look into variations/similar names

zaq

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 6:45 pm
My philosophy has always been that once a person has a namesake, any further naming is purely optional. How many namesakes does a person need?

agreer

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 7:05 pm
This is one of the few times I disagree with zaq. ... she is "the sage" of imamother in my book.

I think it's a testament to how meaningful the person was in the family when there are multiple people named after him. When people know that, say, "Moshe Don" is a family name, they are likely to remember the original more, ask questions, etc. If there's only one, no one knows it's a family name so no one asks.

I also think blood is thicker than water. I'm a traditionalist, and I know it's unpopular opinion, especially with the younger crowd, but if it's a minhag to name after family, continue in that tradition!

As a compromise, what does it mean that the names "don't go." Also, as for calling different names. ..I know a menachem Mendel whose who's dad calls him Mendy and mom calls him menachem. Who cares is the parents call him dIfferent names?

But if u don't do a double name, my vote is to name after the relative.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Mar 28 2015, 4:09 pm
If questions aren't asked, you can and should explain why.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names