Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
What can you tell me about camp kaylie (time sensitive)

amother
Red

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 4:06 pm
I am researching kaylie for my young teen who is a of typical development but experiencing social problems.What can you share with me about the camp? any info is helpful. We are an out of town yeshivish family, and really want to make it work. Please take a minute to answer even though its erev pesach as it is late in the season, and we need to give an answer.
thank you

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 4:48 pm
I know many of the staff members personally though I have never had a child there. I would say definitely go for it!

animeme

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 5:13 pm
It is a great place. But you need to start by calling or emailing the camp to see if there is space in his division (assuming bits a boy- girls may have more room), because many are full.

That being solved, (I only know boys month) there are a lot of sports but also a lot of alternatives to sports. There's always a lot going on. Their chinuch has a lot if options. There's a masmidim track if you want it, and a beis medrash where older bochrim learn that he can pop into whenever if that's his thing. Lots of different types of frum, though you often can't tell who's from what kind of family until the families show up on visiting day. (Again, boys.)

The facilities are nice, but no ac in the bunks. Counselor are nice, fun people. Speak to the camp mom about camp mom type of stuff, and to David Sharvit about the social stuff.

You can pm me with questions. If you have a girl, I might have someone you can ask.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 5:56 pm
Did you get accepted into camp? I thought they filled up pretty fast and there was no openings!
I heard it is a good camp and all the kids work together. So even if your ds has social issues they work together with the other kids to make sure everyone fits into camp, and create a positive environment for all.

Mimisinger

Post Sat, Mar 28 2015, 10:10 pm
I don't have personal experience, but I have friends who sent there, both for "normal," children and those with differences. All love it and have only the best experiences.

Mimisinger

Post Sat, Mar 28 2015, 10:11 pm
Oh, and I had a friend that sent her daughter there because she needed a little help socially - not very popular, etc. And she loved it. Her mom sent her because it's easier to make friends there and the kids are generally nicer.

amother
Red

Post Sat, Mar 28 2015, 10:25 pm
wow!. thank you all for your responses. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear that we are considering this for my daughter. and yes- there is a slot available for her.

themom

Post Sat, Mar 28 2015, 11:47 pm
Its a great camp on a beautiful campus. However, it is not a yeshivish crowd. You need to decide if you are ok with that.

ROFL

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 12:19 am
There are all types of kids at camp mo yeshivish and all in between. The wonderful thing about kaylie is that there is acceptance to all!

BA

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 12:22 am
I know a girl who went there - it seems to be a very positve place with great staff. although not such a a yeshivish crowd.

good luck!

MrsLeo

Post Mon, Jul 18 2022, 9:08 pm
If anyone has any info and/or tips they can share about the girls division I would appreciate it. What to send, what not to send....
My daughter who is turning 14 next week is going there for second half. This will be her first time in camp.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)