Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby wants to cruise all day, can't crawl

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 1:36 am
My baby refuses to sit or go on his tummy! I've tried new toys, getting down on the floor with him Etc. He cries and screams if he can't stand up. He wants to cruise all day but has no real sense of balance so falls down a lot. He can't even pull up so easily on most things He can't sit up from lying down and only army crawls slowly. Do I need to let him cry? I'm worried about his development.

He is 9 months.

zaq

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 2:25 pm
Ask your pediatrician at the next well-baby visit, but lots of kids never crawl and start walking early. If he is hitting other developmental milestones on target, he is probably going to be one of those kids. Yes, let him cry--it's frustration because he wants to get somewhere. He has to learn that effort will get him where he wants to go. Not that you should let him yell for hours, but don't swoop in to pick him up every time he whimpers. Give him some time to figure things out. Often enough he may yell for a few minutes and then either be distracted or figure something else out. At this age his bottom is well upholstered, his bones flexible, and the distance from upright to splat very short, so when he cries it is mainly surprise, disappointment or frustration rather than pain. BTW is he very overweight? If he is, it may be too hard for him to heave himself up to a sitting position from a lying one, and that may also be why he is not crawling on all fours. Ask your pediatrician.

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 4:36 pm
I'd be concerned but wouldn't be surprised if your pediatrician isn't. A lot of kids skip crawling and then have sensory/motor/coordination/balance/whatever issues later in life. If you can, I'd go for a PT consultation to see if there's anything you could/should do to help. I wonder if there could be some physical issue making it painful for him on his stomach.

Miri7

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 7:06 pm
If you are concerned about his development, call your pediatrician. A parents gut instinct should always be followed-up on.

It may be that your DS will be a kid who walks early and skips crawling. But you will feel better knowing that you've checked this out with your doctor.

Lilibet

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 8:01 pm
By all means ask your pediatrician if you are worried. Always ask your pediatrician if you are worried.

But babies are individuals. Cruising is more than many 9 month olds can do! The baby may WANT to cruise, and scream because you are trying to make her/him sit when s/he really, really wants to cruise.

I had one who did not stand up until he was 18-months-old. He did not want to. He never did bother with crawling. He liked to sit and manipulate toys. He turned out, well, telling you what he does for a living would be bragging. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with him.

My point is that the benchmarks in the baby books are averages, or ranges. Actual babies do things in their own order.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Mar 29 2015, 8:38 pm
DD was cruising all over the place at 9 months, but not crawling. Eventually she figured out that crawling was faster, and she could cross open spaces more easily as there were no hand holds available. That was a very short stage, and then she was walking independently about a month later.

Later on I found out that she had balance and coordination problems from skipping most of the crawling stage. I had no idea that this was a bad thing! I just thought she was very clever. She rode a bike several years later than all of her friends, and still has a hard time with swimming. Anything that involves left/right integration is a bit more of a struggle for her.

I suggest you keep your baby in the middle of the room, away from places where he can pull himself up. Make him have to learn to crawl if he wants to get anywhere. If you place toys just out of his reach, he'll figure it out pretty quickly. There will be a lot of screaming at first, but that's OK, it's part of the process. Once he's frustrated enough, he'll be motivated to work at it.

seeker

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 12:09 am
Maybe some babies just skip crawling even though they're perfectly fine, but according to all the OTs and PTs I know there is a very high correlation between non-crawling and later sensorimotor problems. One parent I know had a few kids with this and from then on if any of her kids looked like they wanted to skip crawling she put them in PT right away and they had fewer issues later on (including learning and behavior stuff.) Of course this is only an observation of one but my own DD did crawl very normally but only for a very short time because she started crawling at an average age but seemed DRIVEN to stand and walk - taught herself to stand without holding onto anything by 7 months and walked (for real, not just a couple of steps) at 9 months, so crawling only lasted a month or two. She's the one who now has the sensory/balance/etc difficulties.

I'm especially concerned about OP's baby because of the aversion to crawling/tummy time. It seems like he didn't just "happen" to skip a stage, there's something about it that bothers him so I wonder what it is. A stomach issue perhaps?

Putting him in an open space is a nice idea but I know lots of kids who learned to slide on their bottoms or scoot on their knees rather than crawl. Babies are so creative Smile

GreenMamma19

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 7:30 am
It's not necessary that he starts carwling. A lot of babies skip this stage altogether.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics