Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Is Quinoa kitniyos?
Previous  1  2  3

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 26 2015, 9:14 pm
lkwdlady wrote:
http://matzav.com/rav-shlomo-miller-forbids-quinoa-as-kitniyos-on-pesach#more-117855

Which highlights why it's essential to ask one's LOR and not anonymous women across the world.
And about quinoa: if it doesn't have a KLP hechsher it has to be checked very, very carefully.
And about cumin: I'm not about to start using it, though I'd love to. What was with the recent cumin recall because of peanut contamination?

Sanguine

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 3:34 am
etky wrote:
I meant when potatoes were first introduced into Europe from the New World, during the early modern era. I believe in fact that there was some sort of halachic debate about them being considered kitniyot or not.
I think I remember hearing that they were going to make potatoes kitniyot but the people would have totally starved without potatoes on Pesach

imasinger

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 5:06 am
My DD in Lakewood told me that they are asking a shaila, as the big Lakewood rav says quinoa is kitniyos, but both their parents have rabbonim that say it is fine. We will find out whether they will be able to come to us for Pesach without us replacng dishes and cookware. Sad

greenfire

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 8:17 am
as written in Vaad Hakashrus Cleveland Kosher for Pesach 2015

"Quinoa ~ This has changed from previous years. It has been found that farmers grow barley in the vicinity of Quinoa, and sometimes cover the quinoa with barley to keep the birds from eating the quinoa. For those people who use quinoa grain on Pesach, the OU and the Star-K have produced product under certification this year. rand names are Pereg OUP, Goldbaum OUP, Ancient Harvest White Quinoa Grains Traditional Star-K (no 'P' required)."

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 8:19 am
greenfire wrote:

"Quinoa ~ This has changed from previous years. It has been found that farmers grow barley in the vicinity of Quinoa, and sometimes cover the quinoa with barley to keep the birds from eating the quinoa. For those people who use quinoa grain on Pesach, the OU and the Star-K have produced product under certification this year. rand names are Pereg OUP, Goldbaum OUP, Ancient Harvest White Quinoa Grains Traditional Star-K (no 'P' required)."

Does it mention anything about checking the quinoa for Pesach? Especially the last brand which is sold year round?

etky

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 8:26 am
imasinger wrote:
My DD in Lakewood told me that they are asking a shaila, as the big Lakewood rav says quinoa is kitniyos, but both their parents have rabbonim that say it is fine. We will find out whether they will be able to come to us for Pesach without us replacng dishes and cookware. Sad

Ask about that too b/c in Israel, where it is very common to have in the same extended family kitniyot and non-kitnyot eaters, many poskim hold that the non-kitniyot eaters can eat from the same utensils that were used to cook kitniyot. Some even hold that they can eat cooked dishes that contain kitniyot derived products (like oil) as long as they don't eat the actual discernible kitniyot themselves. Maybe they just have to avoid the quinoa and that's it.

greenfire

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 8:29 am
it's all written above ... unless you want me to type out the part about kitniyos which has nothing in particular to do with quinoa

and as per the matzav article ... if you read the bottom of Rav Miller's letter he says

"As I have previously written ... Although there are other kasrus agencies that permit it but in my opionion it is forbidden like any other 'kitniyos'.

that means he didn't think so last year or anytime before ... while other poskim say it's okay he is not changing his opinion

etky

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 8:35 am
yaelinIN wrote:
If you are Jerusalem, I can share some of my OU KLP cumin.

Thanks so much YaelinIN!! I've decided to forgo the cumin, at least for this year.
Meanwhile I'm trying to find American cottonseed oil based mayonnaise b/c the Israeli palm oil stuff grosses me out. I think I'm going to have to shep to Cheaperkol in Jerusalem for it if I want it that desperately.
BTW, cottonseed oil is another very interesting kitniyot sugiya ....

grace413

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 8:41 am
etky wrote:
Thanks so much YaelinIN!! I've decided to forgo the cumin, at least for this year.
Meanwhile I'm trying to find American cottonseed oil based mayonnaise b/c the Israeli palm oil stuff grosses me out. I think I'm going to have to shep to Cheaperkol in Jerusalem for it if I want it that desperately.

Etky I'm surprised that the US mayo isn't available in Efrat. We have 2 different brands of it in our makolet.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 8:42 am
etky wrote:

My understanding is that it's considered kitniyos by Israeli poskim but not most chutz la'aretz poskim. Now are we thrilled about using something that may not be grown as food grade and have lots of pesticides, but do we do it anyway? Maybe not and maybe yes Wink

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 8:48 am
http://www.chabad.org/holidays.....r.htm

etky

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 9:07 am
grace413 wrote:
Etky I'm surprised that the US mayo isn't available in Efrat. We have 2 different brands of it in our makolet.

Sad
You'd think, since we have almost everything else.....
I'm giving it until early next week and if it doesn't show up in Superdeal then I'll get it (hopefully) from Jlm.

etky

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 9:09 am
PinkFridge wrote:
My understanding is that it's considered kitniyos by Israeli poskim but not most chutz la'aretz poskim. Now are we thrilled about using something that may not be grown as food grade and have lots of pesticides, but do we do it anyway? Maybe not and maybe yes Wink

Don't have time before Shabbat to get into it - maybe bli neder motzei Shabbat...

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 9:12 am
etky wrote:
Sad
You'd think, since we have almost everything else.....
I'm giving it until early next week and if it doesn't show up in Superdeal then I'll get it (hopefully) from Jlm.

If all else fails, make your own. If you're nervous about raw eggs, there may be KLP egg substitute or pasteurized eggs available.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Mar 27 2015, 10:30 am
I just saw a notice posted that Rav Shlomo Miller says quinoa is kitniyos

FYI, Rav Miller is a dayan in Lakewood (this notice is on the letterhead of the Bais Hora'ah of Lakewood) and Rosh Kollel from Toronto.

I am certainly not saying that people should hold by him, but I found this of interest since it seems that otherwise most US poskim hold the quinoa is not kitniyos.

cbsmommy

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 12:12 pm
greenfire wrote:

The quinoa produced in Bolivia (Ancient Harvest) are grown in certified gluten free conditions (which ironically often has "hashgacha" from a Rav). The quinoa is purposely kept separate from barley and later laboratory tested to ensure that it is gluten free.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics