Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Chocolate Chip Squares (aka Blondies), Whisk 3/21/12
Previous  1  2

November

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 5:49 pm
If someone tries this recipe using olive oil, please post how they turned out. That's all I'm using this year. No hazelnut oil available where we live.

cbsmommy

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 10:11 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I use ground almonds. I bought hazelnut oil in Hungarian -- only place I saw it. I wouldn't use coconut oil -- too strong tasting. If I didn't have hazelnut, I would use safflower.

I made em with safflower oil. Not as amazing as last year's batch with hazelnut oil, but by the time I got to Hungarian the only thing left was cottonseed and olive oil.

penguin

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 10:16 pm
Should I bother trying with:
Olive oil (mild) or coconut (DD says OO is okay in brownies but she doesn't like it in nut cake or cookie)
no brown sugar but we can caramelize some white
no vanilla
no choc chips but I can make a chocolate syrup w cocoa &sugar & marbelize

Would you bother? We are pretty fine w brownies & nut cookies. this is not going to be simple. ( overheard DD saying s/t about nutty meringue bars. I hope it was that she was not going to bother....

agreer

Post Mon, Apr 14 2014, 12:08 am
penguin wrote:
Should I bother trying with:
Olive oil (mild) or coconut (DD says OO is okay in brownies but she doesn't like it in nut cake or cookie)
no brown sugar but we can caramelize some white
no vanilla
no choc chips but I can make a chocolate syrup w cocoa &sugar & marbelize

Would you bother? We are pretty fine w brownies & nut cookies. this is not going to be simple. ( overheard DD saying s/t about nutty meringue bars. I hope it was that she was not going to bother....

No way would I bother! Find a recipe without brown sugar or chocolate chips.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 14 2014, 4:44 am
November wrote:
If someone tries this recipe using olive oil, please post how they turned out. That's all I'm using this year. No hazelnut oil available where we live.
I make something very similar using extra light olive oil.

solo

Post Mon, Apr 14 2014, 12:01 pm
Why did mine come out undercooked in the center:(?

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Apr 14 2014, 12:03 pm
I always check for doneness with a toothpick.

AZmom09

Post Mon, Apr 14 2014, 12:53 pm
Anyone make this without the nuts?

rachelle613

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 12:22 pm
I tried these today...but they didn't come out nice at all Sad

I halved the recipe and only used ground almonds instead of the coconut, but it was very dry and plain. Tasted nutty. What did I do wrong?

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 2:38 pm
love2live wrote:
I tried these today...but they didn't come out nice at all Sad

I halved the recipe and only used ground almonds instead of the coconut, but it was very dry and plain. Tasted nutty. What did I do wrong?

I don't understand what you did -- this recipe doesn't call for coconut at all; only ground nuts. Is this recipe you made?

rachelle613

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 2:45 pm
You're right, sorry- I'm trying out all your recipes and have them all flying round my head! I just halved the recipe, but it didn't come out very well. It was very dry, maybe I overcooked it- but it wasn't even in for 45 minutes...

Never mind Sad

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 2:46 pm
love2live wrote:
You're right, sorry- I'm trying out all your recipes and have them all flying round my head! I just halved the recipe, but it didn't come out very well. It was very dry, maybe I overcooked it- but it wasn't even in for 45 minutes...

Never mind Sad

Have you used an oven thermometer to check that your oven is the correct temperature.

rachelle613

Post Mon, Mar 30 2015, 2:50 pm
Nope. Whats 350 in celcius? 180?

I used refined walnut oil. That's all I could find- not sure if thats what made the difference...

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 8:50 pm
This has been one of our favorite go to Pesach recipes for years. However, I now have a DGD with a tree nut allergy. Can any of you expert cooks suggest how to modify this to remove the nuts from the recipe?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 19 2017, 9:05 pm
I make something similar without nuts. You should be able to omit entirely. It will be a bit more ooey gooey. My family enjoys it frozen straight from the freezer.
Otherwise, if you guys like coconut, substitute some ground coconut, but only about half the amount since it gives a different texture (almond flour and coconut flour are not interchangeable in amounts).

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 8:45 am
ra_mom wrote:
I make something similar without nuts. You should be able to omit entirely. It will be a bit more ooey gooey. My family enjoys it frozen straight from the freezer.
Otherwise, if you guys like coconut, substitute some ground coconut, but only about half the amount since it gives a different texture (almond flour and coconut flour are not interchangeable in amounts).

Do you think I should use more potato starch? We don't care for coconut.

Or, could you share your recipe please?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 20 2017, 1:41 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Do you think I should use more potato starch? We don't care for coconut.

Or, could you share your recipe please?

You can probably add more potato starch but really just a bit since it's pretty gummy.
Here's the recipe. I don't go for such ooey gooey sweetness but my family goes nuts for it. The tollhouse one.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....art=0

penguin

Post Mon, Apr 15 2019, 5:44 pm
Quote:
The only real substitute for brown sugar is molasses.
I find coconut sugar an excellent substitute.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Apr 17 2019, 4:04 pm
I made this today and used only white sugar. They came out amazing.
We can't get brown sugar with badatz. I did buy demarara sugar (light brown) and will try it with that next time.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics