Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Can you grill boned chicken on a cooktop grillpan?

Mevater

Post Sat, Mar 28 2015, 11:47 pm
How do you know if the inside of chicken (with bones- either thighs or bottoms) is cooked through and through, if you grill it on a cooktop grill pan, that doesnt get as hot as an outdoor grill?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/rec......html

Ingredients
2 1/2 to 3 pounds chicken thighs, bone-in and skin-on, trimmed of excess fat
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 to 1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1 orange, zested and juiced
1 lime, zested and juiced
Few dashes cayenne pepper
10 sprigs fresh thyme
Directions
Season the chicken thighs generously with salt and pepper. In a non-reactive baking dish large enough to hold all the chicken to marinate, whisk together the vegetable oil, citrus zests and juices, cayenne pepper and the thyme. Add the chicken thighs and turn to coat. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to a couple hours in the refrigerator.

Preheat the grill. Remove the chicken from marinade and let excess drip back into dish. Place chicken on the hot grill, without overcrowding the pieces. Grill until fully cooked through, turning occasionally, about 15 minutes total, depending on how hot your grill is. Serve immediately.

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 10:02 am
You certainly can grill chicken on a grill pan indoors. I don't know what your pan is made of but a cast iron pan on a gas burner can get pretty hot.

Also, in my experience, when grilling chicken outside, instructions are to grill the chicken not directly over the coals - or not directly over the "flames" if it is a gas grill. Chicken needs to be cooked more slowly than other meats since you don't want to eat rare chicken and if the heat is too high, the exterior of the chicken gets cooked too quickly and you wind up with a raw interior and a charred exterior.

The same would be true if grilling indoors because too high heat will result in the exterior cooking too quickly and the interior being raw or too rare - which is NOT a good thing for chicken :-)

The best way to cook meat is with an instant thermometer which tells you when the meat is cooked to the appropriate temperature. Of course, you can rely on older techniques like cutting close to the bone to see the color of the flesh but a thermometer is more reliable and easier.

You didn't ask but here's my tried and true recipe for grilled chicken which I grill inside when I don't want (or can't) grill outdoors. I marinate for 24 hours and will double the recipe because the cold chicken is so tasty. It would work with thighs of course.

Unbelievable Chicken
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serving Size: 6

Ingredients:

1/4 cup cider vinegar
3 tablespoons prepared coarse-ground mustard
3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 lime, juiced
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
ground black pepper to taste
6 tablespoons olive oil
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

Directions:

1. In a large glass bowl, mix the cider vinegar, mustard, garlic, lime juice, lemon juice, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil. Place chicken in the mixture. Cover, and marinate 8 hours, or overnight.

2. Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.

3. Lightly oil the grill grate. Place chicken on the prepared grill, and cook 6 to 8 minutes per side, until juices run clear. Discard marinade.

Mevater

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 10:27 am
Amarante wrote:
Also, in my experience, when grilling chicken outside, instructions are to grill the chicken not directly over the coals - or not directly over the "flames" if it is a gas grill. Chicken needs to be cooked more slowly than other meats since you don't want to eat rare chicken and if the heat is too high, the exterior of the chicken gets cooked too quickly and you wind up with a raw interior and a charred exterior.

I think my solution for boned chicken will be to cook/bake it til its almost done, and then put it on my double burner grill for extra color/flavor. I had roasted chicken (done) from Shabbos that I put on the grillpan with fresh onions and peppers, and it was super.

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 10:40 am
That would be a good solution to have a nice charred grilled exterior with a perfectly done interior. Lots of recipes have a two pronged approach, I,e baking covered with foil until the end or placing under the broiler for a few minutes at the end.

My roast duck recipe steams the duck for about 45 minutes and then roasts to finish cooking and get a crispy skin.

dhm

Post Tue, Mar 31 2015, 10:49 am
I have a grilling pan and I made chicken bottoms bone in in the pot. It came out delicious! I cooked it on a low flame and for about half the time I covered loosely with silver foil. Just to help keep some steam from escaping.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey